Can I Pursue an Astrophysics Masters/PhD in the USA with a Mathematics Degree?

• Thread starter buddhikapriya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astrophysics
In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student at the University of Colombo in Sri Lanka, majoring in mathematics with a total of 120 credits over four academic years. They have a strong interest in astronomy/astrophysics, but have not studied physics as part of their degree. They are wondering if they can pursue a Masters/PhD in astrophysics in the USA with their current degree and what steps they should take. It is possible to go directly to an astronomy/astrophysics program, but it would require the support of a professor. Other options include pursuing a Masters in applied mathematics and then reapplying to astrophysics programs, or taking enough physics classes to be able to take the physics-GRE. Some
buddhikapriya
I am an undergraduate student of University of Colombo,Sri Lanka.My degree is a mathematics major degree consisting 120 credits at four years of academic years.I have a great enthusiasm in Astronomy/Astrophysics.But I have not studied Physics for my degree.Can I go for a Astrophysics Masters/PhD (in USA) having this degree as my basic degree?what should i do?

Thanks
/Buddhika

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would be possible to go directly to an astronomy/astrophysics program---but generally it would need the agreement and assistance of a professor who specifically accepted you to the program.

There are two options I'd suggest investigating:
1) looks into masters programs in applied mathematics---once in one of those programs, you could take classes in physics, and re-apply to astronomy/astrophysics programs after a year or two
2) take enough classes in physics to take the physics-GRE (graduate record examination); I'm not sure if you're familiar with it or not, but in the US, the physics-GRE is the standard prerequisite examination to get into physics grad-schools.

Thank you very much for ur info.And please let me know if u get to know anythin new about this matter. :)

How much physics have you done in your undergrad degree? If you've done enough to be able to do well in the physics GRE then I don't see why you couldn't, in principle, be accepted (though, I'm not from the US, so take this with a pinch of salt).

hey I'm from sri lanka too. just completed my special degree in physics and am planning to do astrophysics too. when i was scrolling through US universities, saw some unis offering astrophysics for mathematicians. don't remember the names of the unis, but u can take a look at the peterson's website. hope this helps

What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that studies the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

What is the difference between an astrophysics Masters and PhD?

A Masters in astrophysics is a graduate-level degree that typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on coursework and research in astrophysics. A PhD in astrophysics is a more advanced degree that typically takes 4-6 years to complete and involves original research and the writing of a dissertation.

What are the requirements for a Masters or PhD in astrophysics?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the institution, but generally, a Masters or PhD program in astrophysics will require a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics or astronomy, strong academic background in math and science, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement. Some programs may also require GRE scores and/or previous research experience.

What can I do with a Masters or PhD in astrophysics?

Graduates with a Masters or PhD in astrophysics can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. They can also work in fields related to astrophysics, such as aerospace engineering, data science, or science communication.

What skills and qualities are important for success in an astrophysics Masters or PhD program?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, proficiency in math and physics, attention to detail, ability to work independently and in a team, strong communication skills, and a passion for scientific research are all important qualities for success in an astrophysics Masters or PhD program. Time management and organizational skills are also crucial, as these programs typically involve rigorous coursework and research projects.