Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics Minor

1. Apr 28, 2005 #1
    I am an aerospace engineering major.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how that would work? Course work involved, how hard it is?

Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where I went there was no option for an astrophysics minor, so I'm not sure what it would entail. I suspect, however, that your aerospace training would give you a lot of the necessary background in math and physics. In the absence of any other information, I'd say go for it, but I don't have a lot to go with here.

4. Apr 28, 2005 #3
    Isn't astrophysics just a specialization of physics? So wouldn't you have to go to Grad School and get a ph.d. specifically in astrophysics?

PL

5. Apr 29, 2005 #4
    since i graduated with a degree in Honours Neural Computation & Minor in Astrophysics I may be able to help...I took it at McMaster which has some premier researchers in the field.

Lets see there were 8 courses in total(2 first year...so hopefully you'll have 6 electives)
    the 2 most important courses would be
    [0] stellar structures(how a star evolves and the "star map" can't remember the name but it describes the evolution of the star path...oh hell i have the book infront of me..main sequence table..>REALLLY COOL
    and
    [1] Cosmology the study of evolution of galaxies and multistar systems ..nebulas,blackholes, physics metric systems ....sorry its be quite a long time so i don't remeber those systesm...blah blah...

THE WONDERFUL TEXT I USED WAS ostlie and carrolls so you may just wanna buy it and screw taking the minor...but anyways the other 4 courses, all
    2year courses in thermo...E&M...analytical mechanics...shoot can't remmeber the last one...oh some type of modern physics course(ie quantum/statistical mechanics)

..since your in the aerospace programme i assume you've taken thermo and E&M.

SO you'll only need 4 courses(unless they want a total of 8...so check out the number of electives)
    [0]Stellar structures
    [1]Cosmology
    [2]Modern physics
    [3]Analytical mechanics
    OH and i forgot the 1st year astronomy course may be requirement

ALSO some programmes may require a planetary course.

As for the coursework...easy as pie...well the way Dr.Pudritz taught both class..highly interesting(i wrote a project paper on wormholes) and mathematically technical...but pretty easy. Guess it depends on your grade goal i got B+ and A in the two astrophysics course. Mostly you do math describe reactions and processes.

All else fails just take the astrophysics courses if you ahve the prerequistes..thats what i did(by permission of the prof) then i took the other ones after.
    best

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  6. Apr 29, 2005 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never read Ostlie & Carroll, but Carroll & Ostlie is an excellent book. Here's a web page for the two:

http://departments.weber.edu/astrophysics/ [Broken]

This is true in some schools, but many offer an undergrad major (or even minor) in astrophysics.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  7. Apr 30, 2005 #6
    SpaceTiger: heh whats teh difference between ostlie & carroll and carroll & Ostlie!! NOTHING hehe...i miss ordered teh authors but meh its still the same book...

bah never mind I just saw the link and there are two books with different orders of the author. But they are the same 1/2 content on Stellar physics. The blue book has only the stellar chapters while the ORANGE book has both the stellar adn cosmo(galactic evolution stuff)...

i have the orange book and i love it for its light reading(the paragraphs) but extensive technical math stuff. Its a beautifucl book i'm glad Dr. Pudritz made me by it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  8. Apr 30, 2005 #7

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BOB (Big Orange Book) is famed amongst astronomy undergrads. I learned a large fraction of my basic astronomy from there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook