1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Astrophysics or Engineering

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    Hey, I need some advice. I am thinking about grad school for astrophysics and trying to decide what I should do. The question I am posing is that given the low availability of PhD astro job would it be better just to become an engineer (electrical) and do astronomy/astrophysics on my own if possible. The next option is get an Astro PhD and if I don't get a job, go to finance then retire early and study Astrophysics. And the last option is a Astro PhD and post docs.

I am also wondering if it would be possible for me to do Astrophysics if I did go post doc route.
    Also I love space and want to help the make manned space travel a reality, and this sounds like an engineer I think.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2
    Anyone, any advice here please.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    A lot of astrophysics jobs are a lot like engineering day-to-day. You'll probably learn to be a good programmer and might (depending on the project) learn some electronics too. I work with some Astrophysicists who write incredibly complex real-time software and some that write FPGA firmware in VHDL.

You could think of an Astrophysics PhD as a lovely way to spend a few years (as long as you don't need the money) and then you would have top-shelf software skills to market. A lot of Astrophysics software is directly applicable to finance and, more interestingly in my opinion, materials simulations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook