Astrophysics or Engineering: Which Path Should I Choose for Grad School?

In summary, if you're interested in Astrophysics and want to help make manned space travel a reality, a PhD is a good option. However, if you're just looking for a job then an engineering degree might be a better route.
SpaceDreamer
Hey, I need some advice. I am thinking about grad school for astrophysics and trying to decide what I should do. The question I am posing is that given the low availability of PhD astro job would it be better just to become an engineer (electrical) and do astronomy/astrophysics on my own if possible. The next option is get an Astro PhD and if I don't get a job, go to finance then retire early and study Astrophysics. And the last option is a Astro PhD and post docs.

I am also wondering if it would be possible for me to do Astrophysics if I did go post doc route.
Also I love space and want to help the make manned space travel a reality, and this sounds like an engineer I think.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone, any advice here please.

SpaceDreamer said:
Hey, I need some advice. I am thinking about grad school for astrophysics and trying to decide what I should do. The question I am posing is that given the low availability of PhD astro job would it be better just to become an engineer (electrical) and do astronomy/astrophysics on my own if possible. The next option is get an Astro PhD and if I don't get a job, go to finance then retire early and study Astrophysics. And the last option is a Astro PhD and post docs.

I am also wondering if it would be possible for me to do Astrophysics if I did go post doc route.
Also I love space and want to help the make manned space travel a reality, and this sounds like an engineer I think.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

A lot of astrophysics jobs are a lot like engineering day-to-day. You'll probably learn to be a good programmer and might (depending on the project) learn some electronics too. I work with some Astrophysicists who write incredibly complex real-time software and some that write FPGA firmware in VHDL.

You could think of an Astrophysics PhD as a lovely way to spend a few years (as long as you don't need the money) and then you would have top-shelf software skills to market. A lot of Astrophysics software is directly applicable to finance and, more interestingly in my opinion, materials simulations.

1. What is the difference between astrophysics and engineering?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties of celestial objects and the universe as a whole. It focuses on understanding the laws of nature that govern the behavior of objects in space. Engineering, on the other hand, involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, and systems. It is a broad field that encompasses various disciplines, including civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering.

2. Can someone with an astrophysics degree work as an engineer?

While an astrophysics degree may not directly qualify someone to work as an engineer, it can provide a strong foundation in math, physics, and problem-solving skills that are essential for engineering. With additional training and experience, an astrophysicist can transition to a career in engineering.

3. How do astrophysicists and engineers work together?

Astrophysicists and engineers often collaborate on projects that involve the design and construction of instruments and spacecraft for space exploration. Astrophysicists provide the scientific knowledge and research while engineers apply their technical skills to develop and build the necessary tools for the research. This collaboration is crucial for the success of many space missions.

4. Is astrophysics or engineering a more lucrative career?

Both astrophysics and engineering can lead to lucrative careers, but the salaries may vary depending on factors such as job location, industry, and level of experience. Engineers tend to have higher average salaries, but astrophysicists may have more opportunities for research grants and academic positions.

5. What are some current advancements in astrophysics and engineering?

Some current advancements in astrophysics include the discovery of gravitational waves, the continued exploration of exoplanets, and the search for dark matter and dark energy. In engineering, there are ongoing developments in renewable energy, artificial intelligence, and space technology. The collaboration between these two fields has also led to advancements in space exploration and the development of new technologies for studying the universe.