Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AstroPhysics Simulator?

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    Hello, I need an astrophysics simulator. I've googled and yahooed but couldn't find any. If you kno where I could download one please let me know. Thanks for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

Gold Member

I haven't heard of an "astrophysics simulator" before. What specifically do you want to simulate? With luck mayb someone has written an applet for it.
  4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    gasoline,gadget, nchilada, NAMD ...there are many more...those are the ones that i've heard of.

u can also use a game engine for simple astro sims...(coding your own physics component.)
  5. Jan 16, 2007 #4
    I want to simulate the explosion of the big bang. According to recent studies there were more than one planet in our solar system and with the correct simulations they should play out the theory and prove that its true. But there are hundreds of things that I would love to check out.
  6. Jan 16, 2007 #5
    Thanks- the NAMD seems to look kinda cool so ill try that one. :biggrin:
  7. Jan 16, 2007 #6
    :confused: Recent studies? I thought that's a *very* old discovery...
  8. Jan 16, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to begin...

1) People have known forever that there's more than one planet in the solar system.

2) There's no such thing as a "big bang simulator," nor could there be. After all, we currently lack the physics to describe the very early times.

3) A simulator which modelled the big bang would not also be modelling planetary formation, unless you have a computer with, eh, way more computer memory that has ever been manufactured.

You're essentially asking for a "universe simulator," and such a thing does not (and, for machine limitations, cannot) exist. We have simulations of galaxy formation, stellar evolution and so on, but it's not possible to simulate the universe with granularity down to individual planets.

- Warren
  9. Jan 17, 2007 #8
  10. Jan 21, 2007 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Jan 21, 2007 #10
    It is a common misconception that "the universe" refers to our solar system plus the immediate surrounding area, hence the fallacy that the big bang is associated with planet formation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?