Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics Starter

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    hey all,

Has anyone got any suggestions for a good astrophysics starter text. Not to keen for a pop science book, more of a qualitative book.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    Chandrasekhar's "Intro to Stellar Structure" is a great book, a classic. It's written before fusion was understood though. Still, the mathematic foundations are well explained.
  4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply Helios will check it out
  5. Feb 20, 2007 #4
    My university library only has this title ,

Stellar structure and evolution / R. Kippenhahn, A. Weigert.

have you by chance read this?
  6. Feb 20, 2007 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what level you want.

You might want to look at Astronomy 292 - Winter Quarter 2005 on Barabara Ryden's homepage.
  7. Feb 20, 2007 #6
    Thanks for that link George!
  8. Feb 20, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Feb 21, 2007 #8
    The following have proved useful to me as introductions-

'The magic furnace- the search for the origin of atoms' by Marcus Chown

'Fusion, the energy of the universe' by Garry McCracken and Peter Stott (deals mainly with the specifics of fusion reactors but has useful information regarding nucleosynthesis and other phenomena relating to the fusion process)

I recently bought 'Particle astophysics' by Donald Perkins (though leaning heavily on the maths side, is full of useful information, regardless of whether or not you have an A level in maths, and touches on subjects such as dark matter, dark energy, the expanding universe and star formation).

I've also started reading 'the extravagant universe- exploding stars, dark energy and the accelerating cosmos' by Robert Kirshner and while this isn't necessarily an academic book, it's well written and informative.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  10. Feb 22, 2007 #9
    My university used "An introduction to modern astrophysics" by Caroll and Ostlie in first year. I found it good once I had done a bit more maths. It covers most things, observational, stellar, black holes... A little on the expensive side if your not doing a course maybe. Was about £45.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?