1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics, where to begin?

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1

I'm currently a postgraduate student doing pure maths, and I'm quite interested in self-studying astrophysics!

If you do physics or know something that can be of help, could you please suggest me some reading materials?

oh and I haven't studied physics after getting out of high school, so I was guessed maybe I should study undergraduate level physics first, before going into astrphysics?

any help would be appreciated~

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2

What do you plan to do with this self-study? If it's just for fun (and you won't be trying to solve any problems) then you don't really need much physics. A good advanced-undergrad level reference/text without many problems is Carrol & Ostlie's Introduction to Modern Astrophysics. But if you're hoping to study it in college in the future, or try to get a job in astrophysics, then yes, you're going to need at least an undergraduate-level physics education to get anywhere.
  4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    At the moment it's definitely for fun, not sure if I'll try to get into it properly after I get my masters degree in maths. Guess I'll have to study some undergrad physics as well in my spare time, thanks for the reply~
  5. Jun 17, 2008 #4
    An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by carroll Ostlie is a good place to start
  6. Jun 17, 2008 #5
    I guess I should have read the other replies before responding. Then I would have seen it has already been recommended. sorry
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?