Asymmetric potential well problem

It might also be helpful to think about the potential well in terms of barriers and wells rather than just V1 and V2. Overall, it looks like you have a good start on finding the wavefunction and energy levels, but it may take some more algebra and manipulation to get to a final solution.
youngoldman
The task is to find a wavefunction (doesn't need to be normalised) and the energy levels of a particle in an asymmetric potential well (a Schrodinger problem). i.e V = V1 for x<0, 0 for 0<x<d and V = V2 for x>d.

What I've got so far is

Let α^2= 2m (E-V1)/ℏ^2
β^2= 2mE/ℏ^2
T^2= 2m (E-V2)/ℏ^2

Using these substitutions in Shrodinger's Equations and keeping Ψ finite yields

Ψ = A exp (αx) x<0
C exp (iβx) + D exp (-iβx) 0<x<d
G exp (-Tx)

Boundary conditions give

A = C + D
Aα = (C - D) iβ
Gexp(-Td) = C exp(iβd) + D exp(-iβd)
-TGexp(-Td) = Ciβexp(iβd) - Diβexp(-iβd)

Eliminating A and G:
(C + D) α = (C - D) iβ
-T(Cexp(iβd) + Dexp(-iβd)) = iβ(Cexp(iβd) - Dexp(-iβd))

Shifting all these terms of these side onto one side ( so get 0 = ...) and putting into a matrix and setting determinant = 0 yields:

(αT - αiβ - Tiβ - β^2)(exp(-iβd)) = (αT + αiβ + Tiβ - β^2)(exp(iβd))

exp(-2iβd) = (αT - αiβ - Tiβ - β^2)/(αT + αiβ + Tiβ - β^2)

cos(2βd) -i sin(2βd) = (αT - αiβ - Tiβ - β^2)/(αT + αiβ + Tiβ - β^2)

at which point I am stuck. Hints??

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems a like a very messy problem, but it would probably be easier to use a linear combination of sin and cos in the middle, since we know that the eigenfunctions are real.

What is an asymmetric potential well problem?

An asymmetric potential well problem is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a particle in a potential well that is not symmetrical. This means that the energy levels and behavior of the particle may differ depending on its position within the well.

What is the significance of studying asymmetric potential well problems?

Studying asymmetric potential well problems is important for understanding the behavior of particles in a variety of physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials. It also has practical applications in fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.

What factors can affect the behavior of a particle in an asymmetric potential well?

The behavior of a particle in an asymmetric potential well is affected by several factors, including the shape and depth of the well, the particle's energy and momentum, and any external forces acting on the particle.

How do scientists solve asymmetric potential well problems?

Scientists use mathematical models, such as the Schrödinger equation, to solve asymmetric potential well problems. These models take into account the various factors that affect the behavior of the particle and can provide insights into its energy levels and wave functions.

What are some practical applications of asymmetric potential well problems?

Asymmetric potential well problems have practical applications in various fields, such as designing electronic devices, developing new materials, and understanding the behavior of particles in nanoscale systems. They also play a crucial role in advancing our understanding of quantum mechanics.