Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymmetrical body

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    I recently came to the realization that my whole body, including my face, is asymmetrical.
    Everything on the right side is smaller. It's like everything along the horizontal axis' width is decreased by about 2-3mm. And the muscles of everything except for my arm are noticeably smaller on my right side. On my right side my cheekbone is less elevated, my right eye is a less proportional distance from the center of my nose. It's like the right side of my body is genetically weaker.
    I'm 20 years old and have only just realized this so visually it's not very noticeable, but it makes me wonder to what extent the right side of my brain has been affected by this genetic abnormality.

My whole life i've had difficulties socially due to my lack of ability to easily express myself and be creative. I've always excelled in math and science but have had to put extra effort into language related subjects. So just how much does the right side of the brain correlate to creativity and expressing one's self? Are there ways I can overcome or lessen the side effects of my genetic problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2
    I remember for years all the way through high school I had "math phobia" and thought I couldn't do even the most basic mathematical problems. In college, I had A's in all my math/science classes and even worked as a math tutor. The difference? Practice; if you want to do something just start doing it. You might not be "good" at it for awhile, but your body will try to do what you force it to do and after awhile it will become just as easy as the seemingly "innate" skills some people seem to have. Of course there are limits (I will never be an olympic gymnast for example no matter how hard I try), but there is much that you can accomplish if you put in the time and effort. If I were in your situation I would pick up a book and just start reading it and maybe sign up for a beginning art class or something.

I don't think there is a human alive who is completely symmetric on both sides of their bodies. Sometimes the asymmetries are barely noticeable, but most are uncovered under close inspection. I remember when I was drawing a portrait in an advanced drawing class in jr. college and I thought I had screwed up because I drew one eye of my model bigger than the other eye. Then I looked at the model and found out that was pretty much the way it was. The easiest people who notice asymmetries in their body are those that have symmetry differences in their "sensitive" organs (for example, my sister used to tease one of her friends because she was extremely sensitive about one of her breasts being smaller than the other). Either way, you can't blame your body for what you do. If you want to improve your language skills then start using what you've got.
  4. Feb 8, 2011 #3
    My son has the same issue and it is also related to autism... This can explain a lot of the issues you bring forth. The asymmetry is very noticeable, he is very uncoordinated and has been diagnosed with autism. He is a great young man, very intelligent, average to above average IQ and loves computers. The social awkwardness is apparent as well as lack of maturity. Another thing we worked with my son in school with was language. From the third grade on through high school. He too is twenty years old. He officially got his diagnosis two weeks ago although we knew what it was before he got out of grade school. You can practice skills, and it helps. But there is more going on here and one needs to get to the root of the problem. I hope this helps or at least shows another side that some have not looked into or experienced.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  5. Feb 8, 2011 #4

Staff: Mentor

This is an old thread that apparently slipped through the cracks. It would have been closed as we don't give medical advice.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?