1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymmetrical Linear Spring

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an asymmetrical nonlinear spring whose force law is given by F=-kx+(k2)x^2 + (k3)x^3.

Here's the problem statement as a google doc:

2. Relevant equations
    U=integral (F,dx)
    3. The attempt at a solution

a. It's called an asymmetrical spring because the force necessary to stretch the spring x units changes depending on how far the spring is from the origin. So basically, graphically, the force by distance graph looks like x^3, which is NOT symmetric about the y axis, thus the spring is asymmeetrical.

b. So, for this I thought what I could do was find the potential energy at the original distance of .5 meters. I would do this by integrating Fdx. Thus, U(.5)=16.66666
    Now, I find U(.25), which is: U(.25)=6.7708333. Thus, KE=U(.5))-U(.25)=9.896

Thus, 9.896=mv^2/2, and m=2 kg, so I can solve for v using that equation, which would give me:

v=3.14157 m/s

Is that right?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted