How Does an Asymmetrical Nonlinear Spring Behave?

Your Name]In summary, the problem involves an asymmetrical nonlinear spring with a force law of F = -kx + (k2)x^2 + (k3)x^3. The parameters k, k2, k3, m, and d are given. The goal is to calculate the kinetic energy of the spring at a distance of 0.5 meters, using the equation U = integral(F, dx). The poster's approach is mostly correct, but there are a few errors in the calculations that are clarified in the response. The final calculated velocity is 3.14157 m/s.
Darkalyan

Homework Statement

Consider an asymmetrical nonlinear spring whose force law is given by F=-kx+(k2)x^2 + (k3)x^3.

k=300
k2=300
k3=200
m=2
d=.5

Here's the problem statement as a google doc:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d277r7r_54dgf3xhgb&hl=en

Homework Equations

U=integral (F,dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. It's called an asymmetrical spring because the force necessary to stretch the spring x units changes depending on how far the spring is from the origin. So basically, graphically, the force by distance graph looks like x^3, which is NOT symmetric about the y axis, thus the spring is asymmeetrical.

b. So, for this I thought what I could do was find the potential energy at the original distance of .5 meters. I would do this by integrating Fdx. Thus, U(.5)=16.66666
Now, I find U(.25), which is: U(.25)=6.7708333. Thus, KE=U(.5))-U(.25)=9.896

Thus, 9.896=mv^2/2, and m=2 kg, so I can solve for v using that equation, which would give me:

v=3.14157 m/s

Is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. Your approach to the problem is mostly correct, but there are a few things that I would like to clarify.

Firstly, your understanding of the asymmetrical spring is correct. The force necessary to stretch the spring changes depending on how far it is from the origin, making it an asymmetrical spring.

Secondly, your calculation of the potential energy at a distance of 0.5 meters is correct. However, to calculate the kinetic energy, you should use the equation KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. In this case, the mass is given as 2 kg, so the kinetic energy would be 9.896 joules.

Lastly, your calculation of the velocity is also correct. However, I would like to point out that the units for velocity should be meters per second (m/s) instead of just meters (m).

Overall, your approach and calculations are correct. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Your approach to finding the potential energy and kinetic energy at different distances is correct. However, your calculation for the potential energy at .5 meters appears to be incorrect. It should be U(.5) = 16.6667, not 166.6667. This affects your calculation for the kinetic energy and final velocity, which should be v = 1.5811 m/s. Please double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide more context for the problem and explain the significance of the values for k, k2, k3, m, and d. Overall, your approach is sound and with the correct values, your solution should be accurate.

What is an Asymmetrical Linear Spring?

An asymmetrical linear spring is a mechanical device that stores energy when it is compressed or stretched along its axis. It has a non-uniform shape, with varying thickness and width along its length, making it suitable for applications where the force requirements are not constant.

What are the advantages of using an Asymmetrical Linear Spring?

One of the main advantages of using an asymmetrical linear spring is its ability to provide different levels of force at different points along its length. This allows for more precise and customized applications, as well as reducing the overall size and weight of the spring compared to a symmetrical design.

What are some common uses for Asymmetrical Linear Springs?

Asymmetrical linear springs are commonly used in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, and medical. They can be found in applications such as suspension systems, door latches, and medical devices, where precise and variable force is required.

How are Asymmetrical Linear Springs manufactured?

Asymmetrical linear springs are typically manufactured using a variety of methods, including coiling, stamping, and laser cutting. The specific manufacturing process will depend on the desired shape and material of the spring, as well as the intended application.

What factors should be considered when selecting an Asymmetrical Linear Spring?

When selecting an asymmetrical linear spring, factors such as the required force, deflection, and material properties should be considered. It is also important to take into account the size and weight limitations of the application, as well as the environmental conditions the spring will be exposed to.