1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptote = hyperbola?

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a graph has an asymptote, does that mean it's always going to be a hyperbola?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I started to think of y=tan(x) and y=cot(x). I believe they would be called trigonometric circular functions as they repeat, but are they still considered hyperbolas because they have asymptotes?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    Do you even know what a hyperbola is...?

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3
    To be honest, my understanding of them is not that strong. You caught me. This is why I am asking.

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4
    Do you have a book?

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The graph of y = ln(x) has a vertical asymptote, but does not represent a hyperbola.

7. Aug 26, 2011 #6
    Yep, I have calculus books. Unfortunately, they don't go into hyperbola's hardly at all. The one I have for school just deals with parabolas.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  8. Aug 26, 2011 #7
    Hey, thank you. That's just what I needed :smile:

9. Aug 26, 2011 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well you have access to much more than a single textbook. You can use your computer and google 'hyperbola' or 'conic section'.

10. Aug 26, 2011 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What about reciprocal functions of the form [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] that have asymptotes at y=0,
    or rational functions with a constant non-zero asymptote such as [tex]\frac{2x}{x+1}[/tex] or even an asymptote that is a not a line, [tex]\frac{x^3-1}{x}\approx\frac{(x-1)(x^2+x+1)}{x-1}=x^2+x+1, x\neq 1[/tex]. For this function as x gets very large positive or negative, the graph approaches the parabola [itex]y=x^2+x+1[/itex]

11. Aug 26, 2011 #10

Mark44

This is a hyperbola. The central axis is rotated by 45°.

This is the same as 2 + (-2)/(x + 1), so this is just the translation and stretching of y = 1/x, so is also a hyperbola.

12. Aug 27, 2011 #11

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh yes of course, why did my mind instantly jump to the general form of a hyperbola...?

Yes I'm aware of the second example's translations, but I don't really see why I bothered mentioning it now that you brought it up.

Clearly my brain's still in holiday mode :zzz:

13. Aug 27, 2011 #12

Mark44

Happens to us all...

14. Aug 27, 2011 #13
    Same here, man. Same here. Just started senior year.

True, I have been doing research on the internet. Every time I get on a site, it just wants to talk about those hyperbola's symmetric along the x or y axis. I have a decent understanding of them, just not these like 1/x lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook