1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Asymptote of curves problems

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the set of values of m such that the asymtote of the curve,
    [tex]y=\frac{3(m+1)x+m-2}{(m-2)x+3m}[/tex] intersect at a point above the line y=3x-2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Vertical asymtote, x=-3m/(m-2)

horizontal asymtote, y=3(m+1)/(m-2)

i am not sure how to move on.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: asymtotes

I believe this should say "such that the asymptotes of the curve..."
    The vertical and horizontal asymptotes intersect at (-3m/(m - 2), 3(m + 1)/(m - 2)). For this point to be above the corresponding point on the line y = 3x - 2, what are the conditions on m?

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3

I think all the intersections must lie on the line y=3x-1 but i am not sure what kind of conditinos to be imposed on m.

5. Aug 17, 2010 #4

Mark44

No, it asks you to find the set of values of m such that the asymptotes of the curve...
    intersect at a point above the line y=3x-2.

The two asymptotes intersect at (-3m/(m - 2), 3(m + 1)/(m - 2)). What are the coordinates of the line y = 3x - 2 when x = -3m/(m - 2)?

What are the conditions on m so that the asymptote intersection is above the point on the line at which x = -3m/(m - 2)?

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5

ok, i will find y when x=-3m/(m-2)

After this, do i calculate y>-3m/(m-2) for the ranges of m?

7. Aug 18, 2010 #6

Mark44

Set up the inequality with the y value at the point of intersection (of the asymptotes) on one side, and the y value of the line on the other. For both points, use the same x value.

8. Aug 18, 2010 #7

ok thanks Mark.

9. Aug 22, 2010 #8

Is the answer m<14/52 and m>2 ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook