What is the domain and asymptotes for f(x) = |x³ + x²|/(x² - 1)?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the domain and asymptotes of the function f(x) = |x^3 + x^2| / (x^2 - 1). The domain is found to be x ≠ -1, 1 or expressed as (-∞, -1) U (-1, 1) U (1, ∞). The method of long division is used to find the slant asymptotes at y = x + 1 and y = -x - 1. The concept of indeterminate forms is also mentioned in relation to determining the limit of an expression that approaches 0/0.
Hannisch
Hi! I've got a problem that's got me a bit.. well, in the end I guess the proper word is sceptic, because it feels a bit like I've made the answer up, which is why I'm taking it up here at all. Anyway:

Homework Statement

Determine the domain for f(x) and the asymptotes to the curve y=f(x) for

[tex]f(x) = \frac{|x^3 + x^2|}{x^2 -1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the domain, which was simple enough - it's not defined for -1 or 1. The question I've got here, however, is how I write this in the best way. I mean, I can say that the function is defined in the intervals x>1, -1<x<1 and x<-1, but we've also learned another way of writing:

If a function is defined from -∞ to +∞ the domain is Df = ]-∞,∞[ , but can I write this when the interval is broken like above? I mean, it looks bizarre; Df = ]-∞,-1[ , Df = ]-1,1[ , Df = ]1,∞[ .. ?Anyway, for the asymptotes:

I checked the vertical asymptotes first, which wasn't too hard:

[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{|x^3 + x^2|}{x^2 -1} = \frac{2}{0} = \infty[/tex]

So, 1 is a vertical asymptote.

[tex]\lim_{x\to -1} \frac{|x^3 + x^2|}{x^2 -1} = \frac{0}{0} [/tex]

-1 isn't an asymptote, is what I've figured from my reading.

Anyway, now we come to the real.. sceptism. We've learned slant asymptotes too. And well.. it's.. odd.

First of all, I came to the conclusion that when x → +∞, x3 + x2 is defintitely positve so:

[tex]\lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{|x^3 + x^2|}{x^2 -1} -(ax+b) = \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{x^3 + x^2}{x^2 -1} -(ax+b) = \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{x^2(x + 1)}{x^2(1- \frac{1}{x^2})} -(ax+b) = \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{x + 1}{1- \frac{1}{x^2}} -(ax+b)[/tex]

And here I start coming up with an answer, and I really feel like I've imagined it.

To find the asymptote I want the whole thing to go to zero and well, my reasoning went something like this:

I first thought that when x → ∞, (1/x2) → 0, so then I thought, well, that sort of leaves me with x + 1 - (ax+b), which goes to zero when it's x+1 - (x+1), which means that it has an asymptote in a=1, b=1. Which is what I feel might be rather imagined. (so, asymptote is y = x + 1.)

So I started searching around and found a webpage where it said that you can determine a slant asymptote by doing long division in this type of situation, so I tried that to

(x3 + x2)/(x2-1)

which in turn gave me:

f(x) = (x+1) + (x+1)/(x2-1), which also means that the asymptote is y=x+1..

And I did the same thing for x → -∞, saying that when this happens x3 + x2 is most definitely negative, so the absolute value of it is -(x3 + x2) and by this got the asymptote (using both aforementioned methods) y = -x - 1.

First: I did not learn the long division method in school, not sure if my teacher will accept it and since I learned it from the internet, is it really a trustworthy method?

Second: If I've done it wrong, help?!

Third: Sorry if this is a confusing post--it was definitely confusing to write!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannisch said:

Homework Statement

Determine the domain for f(x) and the asymptotes to the curve y=f(x) for

[tex]f(x) = \frac{|x^3 + x^2|}{x^2 -1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the domain, which was simple enough - it's not defined for -1 or 1. The question I've got here, however, is how I write this in the best way. I mean, I can say that the function is defined in the intervals x>1, -1<x<1 and x<-1, but we've also learned another way of writing:

If a function is defined from -∞ to +∞ the domain is Df = ]-∞,∞[ , but can I write this when the interval is broken like above? I mean, it looks bizarre; Df = ]-∞,-1[ , Df = ]-1,1[ , Df = ]1,∞[ .. ?

You could say Df = {x|x ≠ -1, 1} or Df = (-∞, -1) U (-1, 1) U (1, ∞) with the union.Long division is often the easiest way to find a slant asymptote, but you can get the same result by factoring, rewriting, and canceling:

[tex]\frac{x^3 + x^2}{x^2 - 1} = \frac{x^2(x + 1)}{(x - 1)(x + 1)} = \frac{x^2 - 1 + 1}{x - 1} = \frac{(x - 1)(x + 1)}{x - 1} + \frac{1}{x - 1} = x + 1 + \frac{1}{x - 1}[/tex]

Your method seems just as good and shorter, and you found the two slant asymptotes.

OK, thank you! :D

I'm trying to find some more information on it, but is it really true that if x→-1 the expression goes to (0/0) that it's not an asymptote? I might have to justify it to my teacher and I'd like to be able too, really..

0/0 could approach a value or diverge to +/- infinity.

x/x approaches 1 as x goes to 0, but x/x2 has a vertical asymptote at x=0. Both are 0/0 if you let x=0.

But.. how do I find out? I am so confused. Cos I can't see whether it goes to +/- infinity or a value.

I can see it in your examples, sort of, but how can I look at it in my case?

You don't always know; that's when you have to try canceling whatever is making the denominator 0.
In the case of x/x, it turned out to be like the constant function 1. Sometimes you cancel until you get to a point where you won't be able to cancel a part that makes the denominator 0. With x/x2, one x in the numerator and one in the denominator canceled, but you're still left with 1/x, and you can't do anything else with that x; there is a vertical asymptote at x=0.

0/0 is just one case of what is called an indeterminate form. You can read more about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminate_form" . Often they approach a number, and you'll learn about L'Hôpital's rule in Calc II, also on that page, which usually helps you find that number it approaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I get it now.. Thank you!

1. What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line or curve that a function approaches but never reaches as the input variable approaches a certain value. In other words, the function gets infinitely close to the asymptote, but never actually touches it.

2. What is an absolute value?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of the sign of the original number. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5, and the absolute value of 5 is also 5.

3. How do you find the asymptotes to absolute values?

To find the asymptotes to absolute values, we first need to determine the domain of the function. The domain is the set of all possible input values for the function. Then, we can set the function equal to the domain value and solve for the output. The resulting value will be the asymptote for that particular domain value.

4. Can an absolute value function have more than one asymptote?

Yes, an absolute value function can have multiple asymptotes. The number of asymptotes depends on the complexity of the function and the number of times the absolute value expression changes sign.

5. How do asymptotes to absolute values affect the graph of a function?

Asymptotes to absolute values can affect the graph of a function by creating breaks or discontinuities in the graph. The function may appear to have "jumps" or "gaps" at the asymptotes, where the function is not defined. It is important to pay attention to these asymptotes when graphing absolute value functions.