Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptotic Analysis question.

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    I have this question (it's not a coursework question, I'm learning it by my own):
    Use an appropiate power series expansion to find an asymptotic approximation as [tex]\epsilon[/tex] approaches 0+, correct to O(epsilon^2), for the two small roots of the equation: [tex]\epsilon x^3+x^2+2x-3=0[/tex] Then by using a suitable rescaling, find the first three terms of an asymptotic expansion as epsilon approaches 0+ of the singular root.

My way to go around this is to write down the next expansion series (because of the degree of the equation):
    [tex]x(\epsilon)=\frac{1}{\epsilon^3}x_{-3}+ \frac{1}{\epsilon^2}x_{-2}+ \frac{1}{\epsilon^1}x_{-1}+x_0+x1\epsilon+...[/tex], the singular root is when epsilon equals null, i.e to solve x^2+2x-3=0=(x+3)(x-1) the roots are: x=-3 and x=1, I guess I need to choose the second root, now the recursive equation is:
    [tex]x^2_{n+1}=-x_{n}/\epsilon-2/\epsilon+3/(x_{n}\epsilon)[/tex] Now, x0=1 and then use the iterative equation in order to find x_-3 and x_-2, am I correct or totally way off here?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2
  4. Jan 11, 2009 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

h*x^3+x^2+2x-3=0
    h=-1/x-2/x^2+3/x^3
    take the leading term
    h=-1/x
    x=-1/h
    x=-1/h+2+ax+bx^2+...
    find more terms

5. Jan 11, 2009 #4
    I don't quite understand what your method is... but if I were to tackle this problem, i'll get rid of the messy ϵ in x^3, and write:
    [tex]g(x)=f\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)=\frac{1}{x^3}(-3x^3+2x^2+x+\epsilon)[/tex]
    (the motivation is that as ϵ goes to 0, the extra root goes to infinity. This is not good. So plugging in 1/x makes the root go to zero instead).

so, instead of finding roots of f, I find roots of g (much easier)
    g=0 implies
    [tex]x(3x^2-2x-1)=\epsilon[/tex]
    i'll just expand around -1/3, 1/2, 0 and solve this eq order by order.

at the end, just take the inverse and expand using geometric series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?