Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptotic behaviour of Legendre polynomial?

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    Dear all,
    I want to know [tex] P_\ell(z)\rightarrow? [/tex] as [tex] z\rightarrow\infty [/tex] where the [tex]\ell[/tex] is analytic continuated to complex plane.
    I found my book writes
    [tex]P_\ell(z) = \pi^{-1/2}\frac{\Gamma(\ell+\frac{1}{2})}{\Gamma(\ell + 1)}(2z)^\ell \,_2F_1(-\frac{1}{2}\ell,-\frac{1}{2}\ell+\frac{1}{2};-\ell+\frac{1}{2};z^{-2}) \quad+\quad \Big(\ell\rightarrow -\ell - 1\Big)\quad\cdots(eq1)[/tex]
    where the second term is the one with [tex]\ell[/tex] replaced by [tex]-\ell-1[/tex]
    Since, [tex]_2F_1(\cdots;z^{-2})\rightarrow 1[/tex] as [tex]z\rightarrow \infty[/tex], so we have
    [tex]P_\ell(z)\rightarrow\pi^{-1/2}\frac{\Gamma(\ell+\frac{1}{2})}{\Gamma(\ell+1)}(2z)^\ell[/tex] with [tex]\text{Re}(\ell) > -\frac{1}{2}[/tex] and
    [tex]P_\ell(z)\rightarrow\pi^{-1/2}\frac{\Gamma(-\ell-\frac{1}{2})}{\Gamma(-\ell)}(2z)^{-\ell-1}[/tex] with [tex]\text{Re}(\ell) < -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

My question is, how to derive eq(1), and how he decide the two condition [tex]\text{Re}(\ell) > -\frac{1}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\text{Re}(\ell) < -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]?
    These two conditions seem to make the arguments of Gamma functions in the numerator to have positive real parts, but I don't know why he want that.
    Thanks for any instructions!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted