Asymptotic Expansion Exercise: Finding a Gaussian Point Solution

• Thread starter MementoMori96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
Else, tell us which one you can use.In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the asymptotic expansion of a function using a gaussian point. The attempt at a solution involved transforming the given function into a form that can be used with the standard Gamma function. However, this transformation brings up issues with the regularity of the natural logarithm at 0. The suggested solution is to substitute a variable that will allow for the use of methods for asymptotic expansion of the Gamma function.
MementoMori96

Homework Statement

Hi, i have this exercise

Cattura.PNG

and i have to find the asymptotic expansion on a gaussian point .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have transformed xt in et ln x in order to have the form used in the formula but ln x is not regular in 0 and it give some problems and moreover it hasn't a maximum . How can i do ? Thanks

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 755
Physics news on Phys.org
MementoMori96 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, i have this exercise

View attachment 213965
and i have to find the asymptotic expansion on a gaussian point .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have transformed xt in et ln x in order to have the form used in the formula but ln x is not regular in 0 and it give some problems and moreover it hasn't a maximum . How can i do ? Thanks

By a simple change of variable you can express your function ##f(t) = \int_0^{\infty} x^{t-1} e^{-\pi x} \, dx## in terms of the standard Gamma function
$$ \Gamma(z) \equiv \int_0^{\infty} y^{z-1} e^{-y} \, dy$$
Then, you can find methods for asymptotic expansion of ##\Gamma## in hundreds of web pages (or good old-fashioned books). For example, the link http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html
has everything you need.

I suggest to substitute ##y=\pi x## in order to sort out the constants in your equation. Then you are left with the gamma function. What do you know about it, resp. which approximations are you allowed to use? If none, then look up proofs on the internet for its asymptotic behavior.

1. What is an asymptotic expansion exercise?

An asymptotic expansion exercise involves finding a series of approximations to a given function as a variable approaches a certain limit. This can be used to find the behavior of a function as the variable becomes very large or very small.

2. What is a Gaussian point solution?

A Gaussian point solution is a specific type of asymptotic expansion exercise where the approximations of a function are centered around a specific point, known as the Gaussian point. This point is usually chosen based on the properties of the function being studied.

3. How is a Gaussian point solution useful?

A Gaussian point solution can provide a more accurate approximation of a function compared to other asymptotic expansion exercises. It can also help to simplify the problem and make it easier to analyze. Additionally, the Gaussian point can be chosen strategically to highlight certain features of the function.

4. What is the process for finding a Gaussian point solution?

The process for finding a Gaussian point solution involves first identifying the Gaussian point, which is typically the point where the function is most likely to behave asymptotically. Then, a series of approximations are calculated, usually using Taylor series, centered around the Gaussian point. The accuracy of the approximation can be improved by including more terms in the series.

5. What are some real-world applications of asymptotic expansion exercises?

Asymptotic expansion exercises have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to study the behavior of physical systems, analyze the convergence of numerical methods, and approximate solutions to differential equations. They are also commonly used in statistical analysis and data modeling.