Asymptotic Relation: Corrections Vanish as x → ∞

• Thread starter wimma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, to show that the corrections to the asymptotic relation vanish as x approaches infinity, we can use the limit definition of a function and the limit comparison test to prove that lim_{x \to \infty} I(x) = 0.
wimma

Homework Statement

Show that the corrections to the asymptotic relation [tex]\int ^x _B dt \sqrt{E-V(t)} \sim x\sqrt {E} + I (x \rightarrow \infty) [/tex] where [tex] I = \int ^\infty _B dt[\sqrt{E-V(t)}-\sqrt{E}] - B\sqrt{E} [/tex] vanish as [tex] x \rightarrow \infty [/tex] if [tex] V(x) \rightarrow 0 [/tex] faster than [tex] 1/x [/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how to do it at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To show that the corrections to the asymptotic relation vanish as x approaches infinity, we can use the limit definition of a function.

First, let's define the function I(x) as:

I(x) = \int ^\infty _B dt[\sqrt{E-V(t)}-\sqrt{E}] - B\sqrt{E}

Now, we can rewrite the asymptotic relation as:

\int ^x _B dt \sqrt{E-V(t)} = x\sqrt {E} + I(x)

Next, we can take the limit as x approaches infinity on both sides of the equation:

lim_{x \to \infty} \int ^x _B dt \sqrt{E-V(t)} = lim_{x \to \infty} x\sqrt {E} + lim_{x \to \infty} I(x)

Since we know that lim_{x \to \infty} x\sqrt {E} = \infty, we can rewrite the equation as:

lim_{x \to \infty} \int ^x _B dt \sqrt{E-V(t)} = \infty + lim_{x \to \infty} I(x)

Now, we need to show that lim_{x \to \infty} I(x) = 0 in order to prove that the corrections to the asymptotic relation vanish as x approaches infinity.

To do this, we can use the limit comparison test. Since we know that V(x) approaches 0 faster than 1/x, we can choose a function g(x) = 1/x that is greater than V(x) for all x greater than some value M.

Therefore, we can rewrite the integral I(x) as:

I(x) = \int ^\infty _B dt[\sqrt{E-V(t)}-\sqrt{E}] - B\sqrt{E} \leq \int ^\infty _B dt[\sqrt{E-1/x}-\sqrt{E}] - B\sqrt{E}

By comparing the two integrals, we can see that I(x) is bounded above by a convergent integral, which means that I(x) must also converge.

Therefore, we can conclude that lim_{x \to \infty} I(x) = 0, which proves that the corrections to the asympt

1. What is an asymptotic relation?

An asymptotic relation is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value, usually infinity. It is used to study the long-term behavior of functions and their growth rates.

2. What does "corrections vanish as x → ∞" mean?

This phrase refers to the property of an asymptotic relation where the difference between the actual value of a function and its asymptotic approximation approaches zero as the input value approaches infinity. In other words, the corrections to the approximation become smaller and smaller as x gets larger.

3. How is an asymptotic relation represented mathematically?

An asymptotic relation is typically represented using the "∼" symbol, which means "is asymptotically equivalent to." For example, f(x) ∼ g(x) as x → ∞ means that the behavior of f(x) is similar to that of g(x) as x approaches infinity.

4. How is an asymptotic relation useful in scientific research?

Asymptotic relations are commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They provide a way to simplify complex functions and analyze their behavior in the long run. This can help scientists make predictions and understand the behavior of systems without having to calculate exact values.

5. Is it possible for a function to have more than one asymptotic relation?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple asymptotic relations. This can occur when the function has different behaviors as the input approaches different values, such as infinity or zero. In these cases, different asymptotic relations may be used to describe the function's behavior in different regions.