Understanding Asymptotes and Polynomials in Pre-Calculus

• Thread starter HawKMX2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary: Vertical asymptotes - Look for the number that makes the denominator = 0. For the second bit, you need to use the factor theorem. You know that if f(a) = 0, then (x - a) is a factor. You also know that if one complex number is a root, then its complex conjugate is also a root. Can you go from there?Yes, you can use the factor theorem to find the vertical asymptote.
HawKMX2004
Ok, I have a final in Pre-Calc comming up, and I am still a bit confused on finding asymtotes (vertical, horizontal, and slant) could someone help me with equations i can use to find the asymtotes or how i do? I am just really confused.

Heres the problem. Find the vertical asymtote(s): F(x) = X+3 / (X-2)(X+5)

I don't even have a start because I am so confused :confused:

Also, I am having trouble with finding a fourth degree polynomial that has a set of given zeros. How might i go about solving one of those? I am very confused, please help me

The problem Find a fourth Degree polynomial that has zeros: 1, -3, 2i

Once again i have no clue where to start...a little help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The vertical asymptotes occur when F(x) tends to infinity. You should be able to see these clearly as they're when the denominator is 0. There are two of them; one at x = 2 and one at x = -5.

For the second bit, you need to use the factor theorem. You know that if f(a) = 0, then (x - a) is a factor. You also know that if one complex number is a root, then its complex conjugate is also a root. Can you go from there?

Last edited:
Vertical asymptotes - look for the number that makes the denominator = 0

Horizontal Asymptotes - If the degree of the powers are equal, take the coefficients of them and you have y = a/b. If the power in the denominator is larger than the one in the numerator, then you have a H.A. at y=0

Slant Asymptotes - If the power in the numerator is 1 degree larger than the denominator, then you divide the bottom into the top. (ex. x^2 / (x-1))

If the power in the numerator is more than 1 degree higher than the denominator, then there is no H.A.!

HawKMX2004 said:
Ok, I have a final in Pre-Calc comming up, and I am still a bit confused on finding asymtotes (vertical, horizontal, and slant) could someone help me with equations i can use to find the asymtotes or how i do? I am just really confused.

Heres the problem. Find the vertical asymtote(s): F(x) = X+3 / (X-2)(X+5)

I don't even have a start because I am so confused :confused:

Also, I am having trouble with finding a fourth degree polynomial that has a set of given zeros. How might i go about solving one of those? I am very confused, please help me

The problem Find a fourth Degree polynomial that has zeros: 1, -3, 2i

Once again i have no clue where to start...a little help please?

There is an easier method to finding these. It covers basically what was said above but uses more conventional methods.

Vertical Asymptote(s): X values that make the denominator zero.

Just reverse factor the zero's and you will end with the original equation. Although be careful, with imaginary numbers. => 2i they have special conditions.

Nylex said:
The vertical asymptotes occur when F(x) tends to infinity. You should be able to see these clearly as they're when the denominator is 0. There are two of them; one at x = 2 and one at x = -5.

For the second bit, you need to use the factor theorem. You know that if f(a) = 0, then (x - a) is a factor. You also know that if one complex number is a root, then its complex conjugate is also a root. Can you go from there?
They don't occur when F(x) tends to infinity, that is the limit as x approaches positive infinity and as a way to find the Horizontal asymptote. You need to specify the use of only the highest degree terms in the numerator and denominator.

Tjl said:
They don't occur when F(x) tends to infinity, that is the limit as x approaches positive infinity and as a way to find the Horizontal asymptote. You need to specify the use of only the highest degree terms in the numerator and denominator.

Not sure I understand. You find vertical asymptotes where the denominator is zero and division by zero should be infinity?

What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches. It can be horizontal, vertical, or oblique.

How do you find the equation of an asymptote?

To find the equation of a horizontal asymptote, take the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. For vertical and oblique asymptotes, set the denominator of the rational function equal to zero and solve for x.

What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression made up of variables and coefficients, with only the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can be written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + c, where a, b, and c are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2 has a degree of 2.

How do you graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function, plot the x-intercepts (where the function crosses the x-axis) and the y-intercept (where the function crosses the y-axis). Then, use the leading coefficient (the number in front of the highest degree term) and the degree of the polynomial to determine the end behavior of the graph. Finally, plot a few additional points and connect them to create a smooth curve.