Designing Asynchronous Up-Down Counter w/ SN 7474

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a past exam paper about designing a type of cct using SN 7474 D type flip-flops. The question is about creating a counter that can either clear all Q outputs or present them to 1 with the input clock stopped. The solution involves using switches and logic gates, and integrating up and down counters together. One suggestion is to use a switch to change the counter from up to down, with the clock inputs of Bistables B and C driven by the output of Bistable A. The solution also requires using gates between the Q and not Q outputs and the D input of the next Bistable. The conversation ends with the expert offering to help but not giving the answer
munkachunka
Hi there, I am working my way through some past exam papers and am stuck on this question, the answer that was given to me with the past exam was wrong so I have no reference, I cannot find anywhere on the net or in books the type of cct I am trying to design.

In previous parts of the question I have drawn the cct diagrams for an Up-counter and a down counter using 3 SN 7474 D type flip-flops. The only difference between the ccts being where the feedback is taken from, I.e Q or Not Q.

The question is "there is a requirement to either clear all Q outputs or present them to 1 witht the input clock to the first stage (flipflop A) stopped. Include suitable switches and Logic dates, draw the diagram for the complete Up-down counter.

I think I need to attach the IP/s of Set and Reset to a switch which would either set or reset the switch when the OP goes low, this would be done using a not gate to reset.

I am not sure how to integrate the up and down counters together, The only counters that I can find similar to this use J/K's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a switch that provides a logic '0' to change the counter from up to down then try come up with the boolean expression for the clock inputs Bistables B and C.

The clock inputs of the Bistable B is driven by the ouput of Bistbale A. Q to up count and not Q to down count. What you need is a few gates in between the Q and not Q outputs and the D input of the next Bistable.

Hope that makes sense but having just spent an hour or so on this very problem I'm hesitnent to give the answer straight to you.

See you in March (maybe)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your design problem. I understand the importance of accuracy and precision in designing circuits.

Based on your description, it seems like you are trying to design an asynchronous up-down counter using SN 7474 flip-flops. In order to achieve the desired functionality, you will need to incorporate additional logic gates and switches into your design.

First, let's take a look at the requirement to clear all Q outputs or present them to 1 when the input clock to the first stage is stopped. This can be achieved by connecting the Set and Reset inputs of all flip-flops to a switch that can toggle between the two states. When the switch is in one state, it will set all outputs to 1 and when it is in the other state, it will clear all outputs to 0. The switch can be controlled by a logic gate that detects when the input clock is stopped.

Next, to integrate the up and down counters, you can use a multiplexer (MUX) that selects the input based on the direction (up or down) of the counter. This MUX can be controlled by a switch or a logic gate that detects the direction of the counter.

I understand that you may have only seen J/K flip-flops being used in similar counters, but the same functionality can be achieved using D flip-flops with additional logic gates. If you are still unsure about how to integrate the up and down counters, I suggest consulting your textbook or an online resource for guidance.

I hope this helps you in designing your asynchronous up-down counter. Best of luck with your exams!

What is an asynchronous up-down counter?

An asynchronous up-down counter is a type of digital circuit that can count up or down depending on the inputs provided. It is commonly used in electronic devices to keep track of events or to control timing.

What is the purpose of using a SN 7474 in designing an asynchronous up-down counter?

The SN 7474 is a specific type of integrated circuit that is designed for use as a dual D-type flip-flop. It is commonly used in the design of asynchronous up-down counters because it has the necessary logic gates and inputs to control the counting direction.

How does an asynchronous up-down counter work?

An asynchronous up-down counter works by using a series of flip-flops and logic gates to keep track of the current count and to determine the direction of counting. The inputs to the counter control the clock signal and the direction of counting.

What are the advantages of using an asynchronous up-down counter?

One advantage of using an asynchronous up-down counter is that it can be easily integrated into electronic devices and can accurately count events or control timing. Another advantage is that it can be easily reset to a specific count, making it useful for a variety of applications.

What are some common applications for an asynchronous up-down counter?

Asynchronous up-down counters are commonly used in electronic devices such as digital clocks, timers, and frequency dividers. They can also be used in industrial control systems, traffic light controllers, and other applications that require accurate counting or timing.