At a total loss with these Galois groups.

In summary, the Galois group of the field extension Q(\sqrt{3}, \sqrt{2}): Q is a group of four elements, which can be determined by finding the automorphisms of the extension or by looking at the intermediate fields.
futurebird
I've been asked to match some galois groups with structures like:

Z_2, Z_3, Z_2 X Z_2 ...etc.

And I'm very much lost. I know the galois group for a field extension L:K is the set of isomorphism that fix F. These form a group with function composition.

OK. But how do I find these isomorphism. The book has one example and they gloss over that step... my instructor only did it for a cases where it was really obvious that it was conjugation. So, I'm feeling lost.One of the problems is a little like this:

[tex]Q(\sqrt{3}, \sqrt{2}): Q[/tex]

[tex]Q(\sqrt{3}, \sqrt{2})= Q(\sqrt{3}+ \sqrt{2})[/tex]

So the minimal polynomial is

[tex]x^2 = 5 + 2\sqrt{6}[/tex]

[tex]x^4 -10x^2 + 1[/tex]

The degree is 4.

Here the intermediate fields are [tex]Q(\sqrt{3}), Q (\sqrt{2})[/tex] ... but are there more?

in any case how do I find the elements in the Galois group ...

The identity... and...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Galois group of a field extension L:K is the set of isomorphisms from L to itself that fix K. The elements of the Galois group are functions from L to itself, and they form a group under composition.In this case, there are two intermediate fields, Q(\sqrt{3}) and Q(\sqrt{2}). The Galois group can be determined by finding all of the automorphisms of the extensions. An automorphism is an isomorphism that fixes the base field.One way to find the automorphisms is to look at the minimal polynomial. In this case, the minimal polynomial is x^4 - 10x^2 + 1. This polynomial has four roots, which correspond to the four elements of the Galois group. Specifically, these elements are the functions that send each of the four roots to any of the other three roots. These four functions form a group under composition, and this group is the Galois group of the extension.It is also possible to determine the Galois group by looking at the intermediate fields. Since there are two intermediate fields, there are two automorphisms of the extension that fix the base field. These two automorphisms are the functions that send each of the two intermediate fields to the other one. These two functions together with the identity form a group, which is the Galois group of the extension.

1. What are Galois groups?

Galois groups are mathematical objects used to study the symmetry of algebraic equations. They are named after mathematician Évariste Galois and are important in understanding the solutions to polynomial equations.

2. How are Galois groups calculated?

Galois groups are calculated using the Galois correspondence, which relates the subfields of a field extension to its automorphism group. This method allows for the determination of the structure and properties of the Galois group.

3. What is the significance of Galois groups?

Galois groups are important in understanding the solvability of polynomial equations and in studying the symmetry of algebraic structures. They also have applications in cryptography and coding theory.

4. How are Galois groups related to field theory?

Galois groups are intimately related to field theory, as they are used to study the structure and behavior of field extensions. They can also be used to determine the solvability of polynomial equations over a given field.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Galois groups?

Yes, Galois groups have many real-world applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in physics and chemistry to study the symmetry of physical systems.