Stuck in High School: Choosing a College and Major for Molecular Assemblers

In summary, the conversation is about a junior in high school who is unsure of which college to apply to and what major to choose. They have a specific interest in working on molecular assemblers in the future, but are limited to attending schools in the U.S. due to financial constraints. Suggestions are given to check bio, chem, and engineering programs, as well as considering in-state vs out-of-state and large state schools vs smaller private schools. It is also mentioned that some colleges offer nanotechnology as a specific major, but the marketability of these programs is uncertain. Two links are provided for undergraduate programs in nanotechnology in the U.S.
Coud
I am a junior in high school I am at a total lost to what college I should apply to and what I should major in. I know that I want to work on molecular assemblers later in life, but I don't know what school will be best for me. Can anyone please help me find out which school I should apply to and what I should major in? I can only attend schools in the U.S. though due to financial constraints.

Physics news on Phys.org
check the bio or chem programs. . . maybe even engineering. try to think about which schools will be in your price rage: in state vs out of state; and then large state schools vs a smaller private school.

the good thing about big state schools is that they will offer a lot of research opportunity, and possibly a variety of different majors to pick from. . .

There are a couple colleges that offer nanotechnology purely as its own major, where the curriculum focuses on everything you need to enter nanotechnology. But I don't know about the marketability of such programs.

I found this with a quick search at google:

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology/nanotechnology_degrees.php

And the second link is for programs for undergraduate study, which is what you would need if you to decide you want a less general program of study.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology/bachelor_clist.php?country=USA

1. How do I know which college is the best for studying molecular assemblers?

When choosing a college for studying molecular assemblers, it's important to consider factors such as the reputation of the college's science department, the availability of specialized courses and research opportunities related to molecular assemblers, and the success of previous graduates in the field.

2. What are some common majors for students interested in molecular assemblers?

Some common majors for students interested in molecular assemblers include biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, and nanotechnology. These majors provide a strong foundation in the sciences and can be tailored to focus on the study of molecular assemblers.

3. What skills are necessary for success in studying molecular assemblers?

Success in studying molecular assemblers requires a strong background in chemistry, biology, and physics. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. It's also important to have a passion for scientific research and a strong work ethic.

4. Are there any specific colleges or universities that specialize in molecular assemblers?

While there are no colleges or universities that specialize solely in molecular assemblers, there are many reputable institutions that offer strong programs and research opportunities in this field. Some notable examples include the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, and Harvard University.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in molecular assemblers?

A degree in molecular assemblers can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, nanotechnology, and materials science. Some specific job titles may include molecular biologist, research scientist, or process engineer. Graduates may also choose to pursue further education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, to advance their career prospects.