At-home method to test if it is diluted urine?

In summary, there are a few methods that can be used at home to test if a liquid is diluted urine. The most common and simple method is to use a pregnancy test, which will give a blue or pink color if urine is present. Another method is to use a chemical that will react with urea, the main compound in urine, and produce a color. Additionally, a black light can also be used to detect urine stains in a dark room. However, this method may not be as accurate as the others.
KingNothing
If someone has a liquid, is there any fairly simple at-home method to test if it is diluted urine? Something reasonably accurate?

Biology news on Phys.org
theres at-home pregnancy tests lol

lol put the stick in the liquid. If it comes out blue or pink or something, someone might in trouble :p

Well you're at it, why don't you test the liquid for drugs too. Then you'll know if somebody's putting/put drugs in the liquid, AND you might find out whether or not the person who (owned?) the urine (if that's what the liquid is) is on drugs

lol. sorry I didnt really have anything useful to say, I just thought that would be kind of a funny response. I hope somebody's actually able to help you.

Last edited:
Urea is the main compound of uring, so all you have to find is a chemical that will react will urea and give you a colour.

Could you also detect creatine?

iansmith said:
Urea is the main compound of uring, so all you have to find is a chemical that will react will urea and give you a colour.

Ah, yes, that's all I have to do! All that would involve is rephrasing my original question from "urine" to "urea"

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but my neighbor has one of the special black lights and it's pretty cool.
http://www.spy-tronix.com/item.html?PRID=1369368
She has three cats and one of them was going tee-tee in the house. She bought one of these lights to help her find out where he was doing it.

1. How do I test if my urine is diluted at home?

To test if your urine is diluted at home, you can use a simple method called the "specific gravity test". This involves using a urine specific gravity test strip, which can be found at most pharmacies. Simply follow the instructions on the package to dip the strip into your urine sample and compare the color change to the provided chart.

2. What is the normal range for specific gravity in urine?

The normal specific gravity range for urine is between 1.005 and 1.030. This range indicates that the urine is not diluted and is within a healthy concentration level.

3. Can drinking too much water affect the results of the urine specific gravity test?

Yes, drinking a large amount of water before taking the test can dilute your urine and result in a lower specific gravity reading. It is recommended to avoid drinking excessive amounts of water before taking the test to ensure more accurate results.

4. Is the urine specific gravity test accurate for detecting dilution?

The urine specific gravity test is a quick and easy method for detecting dilution, but it is not 100% accurate. Other factors such as certain medications or medical conditions can also affect the results. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for a more precise evaluation.

5. Can I use other at-home methods to test for diluted urine?

Yes, there are other at-home methods that can be used to test for diluted urine, such as checking the color and smell of your urine, or using a refractometer to measure the specific gravity. However, these methods may not be as accurate as the urine specific gravity test and should be used with caution.