Help fawk3s Find the Right Path: Engineering or Medicine?

• Thread starter fawk3s
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's confusion about their future career path and their interests in physics, biology, and architecture. They are considering options in mechanical engineering and medicine, but are unsure which one is right for them. The speaker also expresses concerns about their chemistry knowledge and preparing for medical or engineering school. Suggestions are given for researching both professions and the possibility of combining them.
fawk3s
Im really confused what should I do in the future, and how would I succeed.

I love physics. I love biology. I love architecture.

Im not yet sure about architecture/architectural engineering, so let's leave this aside at the moment.

So, I am kind of in the between of mechanical engineering and medicine. This might sound crazy since they are both so different professions, but I just can't figure out what's the right one for me. Sometimes I am better at biology (human anatomy especially) and the other times I am better at physics.

Im really interested in how things work (engines, all kinds of devices, machines and so on). But I always can't figure too fast how some of the things work. Thats what's making me hesitate at this point. Maybe I am not good enough for it?

What I like about medicine is that it doesn't seem hard (at the moment) and I find it also interesting. Though, at this point, I don't know if my chemistry is strong enough and I don't know if I want to choose the chemistry exam at the end of the schooldays.

Please help me out by offering choices, explaining what research I need to do on either of those professions. (For example, I've studied physics and biology pretty hard so far. But do I need to have somekind of advantages or extra knowledge for an engineering/medical school? Do I have to study on my own, from the internet, to be prepared or otherwise I'll fail?)

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_physics" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those 2 don't seem to fascinate me too much. I guess for me its either pure mechanics or pure biology.

fawk3s said:
Those 2 don't seem to fascinate me too much. I guess for me its either pure mechanics or pure biology.

Are you sure you know what they are? I did a pure mechanical engineering program with a design project based on modeling a type of flow found in the cardiovascular system. You can have as much or as little crossover as you want, really.

There's also nothing stopping any type of engineer with the appropriate bio/chem courses from going into medicine. A double major or a minor is another option. Typically there won't be anything locking you into one or the other path until at least a few years after you start college as long as you aren't behind on your engineering prereqs and courses.

What is the difference between engineering and medicine?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Medicine, on the other hand, is the science and practice of diagnosing, treating, and preventing diseases and injuries.

What are the educational requirements for a career in engineering or medicine?

To become an engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. For medicine, one needs to complete a bachelor's degree, followed by a medical degree (MD or DO) from an accredited medical school.

Which field offers better job opportunities and salary?

Both engineering and medicine offer excellent job opportunities and high salaries. However, the demand for engineers may vary depending on the specific field and location, while there is a consistent demand for medical professionals globally.

Is it possible to pursue both engineering and medicine simultaneously?

While it is possible to pursue both fields of study, it can be challenging due to the rigorous coursework and time commitment required for both. Some universities offer dual degree programs that combine engineering and medicine, but they are highly competitive.

What skills and qualities are necessary for a successful career in engineering or medicine?

Both engineering and medicine require a strong foundation in math and science, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically. Additionally, communication, teamwork, and adaptability are essential for success in these fields.