1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At the crossroads

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    Im really confused what should I do in the future, and how would I succeed.

I love physics. I love biology. I love architecture.

Im not yet sure about architecture/architectural engineering, so lets leave this aside at the moment.

So, Im kind of in the between of mechanical engineering and medicine. This might sound crazy since they are both so different professions, but I just cant figure out whats the right one for me. Sometimes Im better at biology (human anatomy especially) and the other times Im better at physics.

Im really interested in how things work (engines, all kinds of devices, machines and so on). But I always cant figure too fast how some of the things work. Thats whats making me hesitate at this point. Maybe Im not good enough for it?

What I like about medicine is that it doesnt seem hard (at the moment) and I find it also interesting. Though, at this point, I dont know if my chemistry is strong enough and I dont know if I want to choose the chemistry exam at the end of the schooldays.

Please help me out by offering choices, explaining what research I need to do on either of those professions. (For example, I've studied physics and biology pretty hard so far. But do I need to have somekind of advantages or extra knowledge for an engineering/medical school? Do I have to study on my own, from the internet, to be prepared or otherwise I'll fail?)

Thanks in advance,
    fawk3s

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    Have you considered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_physics" [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    Those 2 dont seem to fascinate me too much. I guess for me its either pure mechanics or pure biology.

5. Sep 17, 2009 #4
    Are you sure you know what they are? I did a pure mechanical engineering program with a design project based on modeling a type of flow found in the cardiovascular system. You can have as much or as little crossover as you want, really.

There's also nothing stopping any type of engineer with the appropriate bio/chem courses from going into medicine. A double major or a minor is another option. Typically there won't be anything locking you in to one or the other path until at least a few years after you start college as long as you aren't behind on your engineering prereqs and courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook