Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At the point of collapse of a double I-Beam why doesnt the neutral axis pass through

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, as the title says I can understand why the neutral axis does not pass through the centroid after reaching a point where the bending moment is max before the beam collapses. Say you have a straight structure supported by two double I-Beams and a weight in the middle. Why does the neutral axis not pass through the centroid, is it because the beams are simply bending ??

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    Re: At the point of collapse of a double I-Beam why doesnt the neutral axis pass thro

can't understand *

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Re: At the point of collapse of a double I-Beam why doesnt the neutral axis pass thro

Your reference to "double I-beams" is not entirely clear. A picture would really help get your question across.

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4

The strain is the distance of neutral axis from the line through centroid. If the neutral axis were at centroid, it would mean no strain and presumably, no bending.

6. Mar 22, 2012 #5

OldEngr63

Gold Member

"The strain is the distance of neutral axis from the line through centroid."

This statement is simply not true at all, and represents total confusion. It must be completely discounted. Strain describes the elongation of a fiber, while the centroid is a geometric property of an area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook