At what angle of force is Kinetic friction least?

In summary, the conversation discusses the total force needed to drag a box at a constant speed across a surface with a given coefficient of kinetic friction, and determining the optimal angle at which the force should be applied to minimize this total force. The conversation also touches on the use of calculus in solving this problem and offers tips for finding good physics mechanics problems to practice.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

The total force needed to drag a box at constant speed across a surface with coefficient of kinetic friction Uk is least when the force is applied at an angle theta such that

a.sin(theta) = Uk.

b.cos(theta) = Uk.

c.tan(theta) = Uk.

d.cot(theta) = Uk.

e.sec(theta) = Uk.

Homework Equations

F = ma
Ff = Uk * Fn = m*g*Uk
Fx = F *cos(theta)
Fy = F*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

First the answer is d. cot(theta) = Uk
I tried to solve it, but couldn't figure it out...
This is my work
Since it is dragged at constant speed, the acceleration is 0. So a = Ftotal/m = 0
Ftotal = F*cos(theta) - (mg - F*sin(theta))Uk = 0
F*cos(theta) / (mg - F*sin(theta)) = Uk... which is wrong...
Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,155
Physics news on Phys.org
gijungkim said:
Since it is dragged at constant speed, the acceleration is 0. So a = Ftotal/m = 0
So far, so good.

Realize that F is a function of theta. You'll need a bit of calculus to figure out the value of theta that minimizes F.

Question: Did they give a diagram defining the angle theta?

Likes gijungkim
Doc Al said:
So far, so good.

Realize that F is a function of theta. You'll need a bit of calculus to figure out the value of theta that minimizes F.

Question: Did they give a diagram defining the angle theta?
They did not give me any diagram defining the angle theta.. Can you help me out little bit more using calculus?? I still don't get it :(

gijungkim said:
Can you help me out little bit more using calculus??
How would you use calculus to find the max or min of a function?

Likes gijungkim
Doc Al said:
How would you use calculus to find the max or min of a function?
You derive the function and make it as a 0 ??

gijungkim said:
You derive the function and make it as a 0 ??
Yes! You'll set the derivative (##dF/d\theta##) equal to zero and solve for ##\theta##.

Hint: What you have will require implicit differentiation.

Likes gijungkim
Doc Al said:
Yes! You'll set the derivative (##dF/d\theta##) equal to zero and solve for ##\theta##.

I need one more hint! What equation do I have to set the derivative??
F*cos(theta) / (mg - F*sin(theta)) = Uk
This one??

Doc Al said:

Oh nevermind it will be this one right?

I don't think this requires calculus. Just some algebraic manipulation.

Doc Al said:

Ok... I tried my best... and got tan(theta)... Ughhhh why is this so hard to me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 895
AlephNumbers said:
I don't think this requires calculus. Just some algebraic manipulation.
Can you help me out?

Were you assigned this problem in a calculus based physics class?

AlephNumbers said:
Were you assigned this problem in a calculus based physics class?
Nope. I'm studying physics by myself so I can take AP physics on May! I don't have anyone to ask questions beside here and I got this questions from internet!

Try solving for the coefficient of kinetic friction in terms of F and itself. You can then substitute this value ...somewhere...

Likes gijungkim
Also, I believe you made a sign error in your forces.

gijungkim said:
Ok... I tried my best... and got tan(theta)...
Given how you defined theta, I would say that was correct. (That's why I asked if you had been given a diagram.)

Likes gijungkim
AlephNumbers said:
Also, I believe you made a sign error in your forces.
Ahh physics is killing me hahaha

Doc Al said:
Given how you defined theta, I would say that was correct. (That's why I asked if you had been given a diagram.)
So when do I get cot(theta)?? where does the theta have to be to get an answer cot(theta)??

gijungkim said:
So when do I get cot(theta)?? where does the theta have to be to get an answer cot(theta)??
Since cot(theta) = 1/tan(theta), you'd get cot(theta) if you let theta = angle with the vertical.

Where did you find the problem?

Doc Al said:
Since cot(theta) = 1/tan(theta), you'd get cot(theta) if you let theta = angle with the vertical.

I found this question from internet! I think this question is based on the book "Physics for scientist and engineers" Serway and Jeweet, but I already read the book and couldn't find anything that explains this problem haha

Doc Al said:

Can I ask you one irrelevant question? Do you know where I can find good Physics Mechanics problem? Since I'm studying by myself, I just like to read the book and solve problems from online and ask questions here if I get stuck. I found good problems from the book I mentioned above, but I'm almost done with that so I'm just wondering if you knew any or if you have any haha

gijungkim said:
Can I ask you one irrelevant question? Do you know where I can find good Physics Mechanics problem? Since I'm studying by myself, I just like to read the book and solve problems from online and ask questions here if I get stuck. I found good problems from the book I mentioned above, but I'm almost done with that so I'm just wondering if you knew any or if you have any haha
There are many books of problems available, at various levels. To start off, you might want to try something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071763465/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gijungkim
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of friction that occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. It is also known as sliding friction or dynamic friction.

2. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

3. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are in motion, while static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction is typically less than static friction.

4. At what angle of force is kinetic friction least?

Kinetic friction is least when the force is applied parallel to the surface. This means that the surfaces are sliding against each other in the same direction as the force.

5. How does the angle of force affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction increases as the angle of force increases from parallel to perpendicular. This is because the force is no longer directly opposing the motion of the surfaces, making it harder for the surfaces to slide against each other.