1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At what distance has spheres decreased Electric potential by 700V?

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, I managed to get Parts (a) and (b) of this problem but can't get the last for some reason. A metal sphere of radius 15cm has a net charge of 2.0E-8C. THe question is, at what distance from the sphere's surface has the electric potential decrased by 700V? Well i found the electric field to be 7992.7 N/C at the sphere's surface. I also found If V = 0 at infinity, what is the electric potenital at the sphere's surface? I used Vsurface = kQ/(r). to find Vsurface being equal to 1198.9V. But I can't figure this part out. I pluged in 700V for Vsurface and solved for r, and got .2569m. r = kQ/Vsurface; This was wrong So i tried, [tex]Vf - Vi = -\int E.ds [/tex] Plugged 700V for Vf-Vi and solved for ds, because i know E from above and I know Vf-Vi, and i got .584m, also wrong any ideas? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You know the potential at the surface from [itex]V = k Q /r[/itex]. What's the potential at the point of interest? It's 1198.9V - 700V= 498.9V. Plug that into the formula and solve for the new distance.

4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    hm...that looked like it would work perfectly but its still wrong for some reason.... I got .361m, r = [(9.0E9)(2.0E-8)]/(498.9)

5. Sep 28, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the distance from the center; what they want is the distance from the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?