1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At what point on the x-axis is the field greatest?

1. Oct 30, 2004 #1
    a circular ring of wire radius r lies in a plane perpendicular to the x-axis and is centered at the origin. The ring has a positive electric charge spread uniformly over it. The electric field in the x-direction, E, at the point x on the x-axis is given by E= kx/(x^2 + r^2)^(3/2) for k>0. At what point on the x-axis is the field greatest? Least?

After taking the first derivative i ended up with:
    E' = k(-2x^2 + r^2 - 3xr)/(x^2 + r^2)^(5/2)
    i know after the derivative im supposed to find the critical points then classify them and find the global min and global max, but for critical points i end up with only a zero, waht does it look like is wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2
    The Important thing to know is that , The charge on a conductor ( in this case the circular ring ) resides on its outer surface. Therefore, electric field E inside the ring is zero.

2nd, For a point on the charged spherical conductor or outside it, the charge may be assumed to be concentrated at its centre.

Based on this least E which is zero, inside the ring.

The greatest is outside, the ring.

I hope this helps.

I don't know if you really need to take the derivative in this question. This seems more like a conceptual problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?