1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At what velocity.(sentence)

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    At what velocity........(sentence)

At what velocity do 2 parallel moving electrons (or protons) attractive magnetic field equal (and therefore cancel out) the electrostatic repulsion?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2
    I'm not in school.

After further googling and pondering, I never realized how "relativistic" this line of thinking can be.

I guess my next question then would be, "what would the world-line of one moving electron look like, in all frames of reference, at different velocities?" Would it draw the same path?

Naturally the third question would be, "Ok, classical electromagnetism states that accelerated charged particles induce acceleration in other charged particles nearby." How would relativistic-electrostatic mesh well here, being magnetisim doesn't exist and its all special relativity?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3
    You might consider posting this in the advanced physics forum, not the introductory forum... (I have no idea what you're talking about in your last post :p )
  5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    Is it C?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?