Is there an algebraic explanation for the identity atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = pi/2?

• Thread starter Nick89
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an identity involving arctan and the possibility of proving it algebraically. The identity is proven using right triangles and then algebraically using the tangent addition formula.
Nick89
Hey,

I came across this 'identity' today and was wondering if there was any algebraical explanation to this...

Basically I had to show:
[tex]\arctan( \frac{a}{b}) + \arctan( \frac{b}{a}) = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
(And if necessary, (a,b) > 0 )

It is pretty easy to show when you draw a right triangle:
Code:
     /|
    /c|
   /  |
  /   |a
 /d   |
/_____|
   b
(a and b are the sides while c and d are the angles)

Now, [tex]\tan d = \frac{a}{b}[/tex] and [tex]\tan c = \frac{b}{a}[/tex] and because it is a right triangle, [tex]c + d = \frac{\pi}{2} = \arctan( \frac{a}{b}) + \arctan( \frac{b}{a})[/tex].But I was wondering if you can also proof this algebraically?
I typed it into Maple and got [tex]\frac{1}{2} \text{signum}(\frac{a}{b}) \pi[/tex]. If my memory serves me well, signum is always 1 if a/b > 0 and -1 if a/b < 0, so if a/b > 0 this holds...

So yeah, just wondering... I can't see any way to do it algebraically...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]tan\alpha =\frac{a}{b}[/itex] and [itex]tan\beta =\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

Then consider

[tex]tan(\alpha + \beta)=\frac{tan\alpha +tan\beta}{1-tan\alpha tan\beta}[/tex]

and what that gives.

Thanks, I understand now!

[tex]\tan \alpha = \frac{a}{b} \text{ , } \tan \beta = \frac{b}{a}[/tex]
[tex]\arctan \frac{a}{b} + \arctan \frac{b}{a} = \alpha + \beta[/tex]

[tex]\tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{ \frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{a} }{ 1 - \frac{ab}{ab}} = \frac{ \frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{a} }{0} = \infty[/tex]*

If [tex]\tan(\alpha + \beta) = \infty[/tex] then [tex]\alpha + \beta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

*Can you say this so easily? Shouldn't you handle the divide by zero better? I know if a denominator tends to zero, the fraction tends to infinity, but you can't divide by 0 exactly... I also can't see any way I could take a limit here?

1. What does the equation atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = pi/2 mean?

The equation atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = pi/2 is a mathematical identity that states the sum of the inverse tangent functions of two ratios (a/b and b/a) is equal to pi/2 radians or 90 degrees.

2. How is the equation atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = pi/2 used in mathematics?

This equation is used to solve problems involving right triangles and trigonometric functions. It can also be used to find the value of arctan(c) when c is equal to a/b or b/a.

3. What is the significance of pi/2 in the equation atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = pi/2?

The value of pi/2 (or 90 degrees) is significant because it represents the angle of a right triangle where one of the angles is equal to 90 degrees. This is also known as the complementary angle of 0 degrees, which is the angle used in the inverse tangent function.

4. Can the equation atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = pi/2 be simplified?

Yes, this equation can be simplified using trigonometric identities to become atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = atan(1) or simply atan(1) = pi/4, as atan(1) is equal to 45 degrees or pi/4 radians.

5. How can the equation atan(a/b) + atan(b/a) = pi/2 be proven?

The equation can be proven using the properties of right triangles and the inverse tangent function. By drawing a right triangle and labeling the sides with lengths a, b, and c (where c is the hypotenuse), the equation can be derived using the ratios of the sides and the properties of complementary angles. This can also be proven using calculus and the derivatives of the inverse tangent function.