Is the 'theory of god' a legitimate theory?

• Thread starter Kholdstare
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the term "theory of god" can be considered a legitimate theory and if it is appropriate to use it in the context of belief in a god. The speaker argues that the theory is not falsifiable and therefore cannot be considered a scientific theory. They also propose the term "aderationalist" to describe someone who does not believe in the theory of god as a valid theory.
Kholdstare
I have been thinking lately, whether the "theory of god" can be called a theory at all?

So atheist is a person who does not believe in god (the "theory of god") and theist is one who does. But before we question ourselves whether we believe in a theory or not, should we not verify whether the "theory" even deserves to be called a theory in the first place?

My stand on this matter is that, I don't think the "theory of god" is a legitimate theory as it does not give us a way to test it. It is not falsifiable. (Here I consider the widespread notions of "theory of god". I have not found any testable claim made by that "theory".)

So, does not that separates me from the atheists who does not believe in god, but apparently think calling it a theory is valid? I thought of a term to describe a person who does not think "theory of god" even makes a theory. Its "aderationalist". "a" means not. "de"/"deus" means god. "rationalist" means ... well you already know that.

Physics news on Phys.org
No a supernatural being does not meet the criteria for a scientific theory.

What is an Atheist or Aderationalist?

An Atheist or Aderationalist is someone who does not believe in the existence of a deity or higher power. They may also reject religious beliefs and practices, instead relying on reason and evidence to understand the world.

How is Atheism different from Aderationalism?

Atheism and Aderationalism are often used interchangeably, but there are subtle differences between the two. Atheism specifically refers to the lack of belief in a deity, while Aderationalism encompasses a broader rejection of religious beliefs and practices.

Do Atheists or Aderationalists believe in anything?

Yes, Atheists and Aderationalists may hold beliefs in various things such as science, reason, and humanistic values. However, these beliefs are not based on faith or a belief in a higher power.

Are Atheists or Aderationalists anti-religion?

This is a common misconception. While some Atheists and Aderationalists may be critical of organized religion, their lack of belief in a deity does not necessarily equate to being anti-religion. They may simply hold a different belief system.

Can someone be both Atheist and Aderationalist?

Yes, it is possible for someone to identify as both Atheist and Aderationalist. They may reject the existence of a deity and also reject religious beliefs and practices. However, not all Atheists are Aderationalists and vice versa.