Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Athlon 64

1. Sep 17, 2003 #1
    Will be launched on 23rd Sept. I hope price war Btw Intel and AMD will spark another round of price-slicing, so that I can buy a notebook with better price and performance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2003 #2
    Oh, there will be price-slashing, but not on the 64 for quite a while. It'll probably be released for around 450 and stay that way for at least 5-6 months.

4. Sep 21, 2003 #3
    No price slashing.

When AMD comes out with their 64-bit CPU, only two will exist from large companies.

The G5 64-bit computer from Apple and IBM.

And the AMD.

5. Sep 21, 2003 #4
    But obviously, only for so long. In fact, Intel hasn't released anything about 64-but development, but it's strongly suspected that they have.

Oh, wait just found an article. The Prescott will have 64-but compatability built in! :/

Here's to hoping AMD comes out on top. Cheers.

6. Sep 21, 2003 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Guess you guys have never heard of the Itanium....its been out for about a year, but it isn't meant for consumers.

7. Sep 21, 2003 #6
    I believe it's code named "hammer"?

8. Sep 22, 2003 #7
    That it is. And in fact, M$ is developing a new OS based on the hammer, code-named "The Anvil".

9. Sep 22, 2003 #8
    Will the consumer be stuck between them?

10. Sep 22, 2003 #9
    i expect there will be price war bwt amd and intel,
    hold on first, wait till Nov/Dec to upgrade your PC

11. Sep 23, 2003 #10

russ_watters

Server version "sledgehammer" -> Opteron (already released)
    consumer version "clawhammer" -> Athlon FX (today)

12. Sep 23, 2003 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

bah with all this 64bit mumbo jumbo. I'm not wasting a penny on this technology until I really need to use more than 4GB of RAM. As it is already, I don't see myself upgrading my hardware for another 10 years or so.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  13. Sep 23, 2003 #12
    just wait for Win2004

14. Sep 23, 2003 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You mean Win2006. Longhorn, Microsoft's next version of windows, isn't do for a while. Perhaps they will release a Windows XP SE, just as they did with windows 98. I also can't wait for the new MS Office with really really advanced spell checking, requiring 10GB of RAM

[edit] By the way, I just love Monkey Island. I own every version.

I challenge you to Monkey Kombat:

Ack-Chee-Eek

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  15. Sep 23, 2003 #14
    Maybe I'm not the only one who still uses 486's?
    I know some people who think win311 was too bloated.

16. Sep 23, 2003 #15

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

17. Sep 23, 2003 #16

russ_watters

The article was far less negative than you indicate. The P4 was faster in 32 tests, the Athlon in 15.

Its also important to note that the chip currently runs in 32 bit mode only. The A64 version of Windows isn't ready yet. When it is ready, AMD will have a 64-bit desktop chip and Intel will not. I have heard that companies like the fact that AMD's chips run both 32 and 64 bit code. Intel's will not.

And also, the platform is brand new - it will improve significantly over the next few months as kinks are ironed out. The P4, if you recall, was a colossal flop when released and has since come of age.

18. Sep 23, 2003 #17
    I have played with the 16-bit win311 extensively on a PII-450MHz. It runs fast of course but still takes longer to load web pages and is more prone to skip during playback of mp3 files than, for example, the 32-bit win9x versions run on the same machine.
    So, based on that, I'm thinking that once all the support is in place for a 64-bit OS that it should be an improvement over a 32-bit OS.

19. Sep 24, 2003 #18
    certainly multimedia applications will benefit from going to 64 bits...

dduardo: are you my perpetual enemy LeChuck in disguise???
    Ack-Chee-Eek

20. Sep 24, 2003 #19

russ_watters

Something else I didn't realize - that P4 hasn't been released yet (1-2 months). The Athlon is faster than the current fastest Intel chip in most of the tests.

21. Sep 28, 2003 #20
    Here's an Athlon 64 shown in a completely different light..

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000253

And another thing you should know about the tomshardware review was that some of the graphs for P4EE had them running @ 3.4 and 3.6Ghz.

Well.. personally i could care less, because both beasts costs over $1000AUS!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?