Athlon 64

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
I believe it's code named "hammer"?

Sorry that my reply is so tardy, but I've been away and haven't gotten a chance to revisit this post.

It is actually "Clawhammer", according to PCWorld.

Yes, previous 64-bit CPUs have existed, but this will be the first one targeted towards consumers.

As of right now, they are on sale everywhere and they lead the charts. Many claim they already beat the highest end Dual 64-bit from IBM. Or, in other words the G5 even though Apple had nothing to do with the CPU.

Costco even sells them.

russ_watters
Mentor
Originally posted by kenikov
It is actually "Clawhammer", according to PCWorld.
I thought I said this before, but maybe not - Clawhammer (Athlon 64/FX)is the consumer version, Sledgehammer (Opteron) is the server version. Opteron has been out for about a year.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is meant with 64 bits??

Actually I have a question about CPU usage, every time the notebook's fan starts working, my CPU maxes at 100% and effectively freezes the activities of my programs..

OK, I admit I have quite a few background programs running, but this shouldn't happen right?

Some specs: I've got AMD Athlon XP 2500+, with 512 Mb DDR Memory, 40 Gb capacity.

Now ACTUALLY I was browsing through the OS (if that is possible :P) and found a menu with which I can allocate virtual memory. Now, it was set to 180 Mb and I have got 30532 Mb of free memory. Can I just change this to whatever I want? I increased it 10 fold, but the fan hasn't started yet, so I might find out later..

Then there is a different issue: I noticed that the clock speed is 1.86 GHz, I was under the impression that it should be 2.5 GHz, since that is the processors name?? AMD Athlon XP 2500+, or am I just illiterate?

Another thing, it said I have 480 Mb RAM, but the specs say, on paper, that I have 512 Mb DDR Memory.. these are different things too?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually, I have AMD Athlon XP-M mobile.. I was just thinking, when I bought the notebook I preferenced it to be energy-efficient. Maybe that is why the clockspeed is much slower? Or wouldn't that have anything to do with CPUs?

..experiments further.. tries to find the shortcut which was removed from the desktop..

Now ACTUALLY I was browsing through the OS (if that is possible :P) and found a menu with which I can allocate virtual memory. Now, it was set to 180 Mb and I have got 30532 Mb of free memory. Can I just change this to whatever I want? I increased it 10 fold, but the fan hasn't started yet, so I might find out later..

Then there is a different issue: I noticed that the clock speed is 1.86 GHz, I was under the impression that it should be 2.5 GHz, since that is the processors name?? AMD Athlon XP 2500+, or am I just illiterate

About the virtual memory, I would suggest not messing with that number in any way at all. VM is incredibly, incredibly slow, since it runs off your hard drive (which is more or less the slowest part of your machine)

And Athlon does things very oddly. The XP 2500+ isn't a number relating in anyway to the clock speed. On another of my computers I have an 1800+, and the clock speed is abuot 1.4 GHz (I think, if I'm remembering correctly)

russ_watters
Mentor
"2500+" is a "performance rating" meaning it performs about the same as a P4 running at 2.5 ghz. Its a marketing thing since most people only look at the number and don't necessarily understand that thats not the only factor in determining performance. The 2500+ runs at 1.83ghz (variations of a % or 2 are normal).

Virtual memory is what your operating system uses on your hard drive when it runs out of physical memory (ram). Since you have 512MB, it is unlikely that you will ever use much virtual memory (windows always uses a little) so changing the size won't have much effect on your system - it won't be used.

64 bits (I mentioned it in another thread) refers to the size of the numbers or instructions that a computer can handle at one time. One of the main benefits initially is that it breaks the 4 GB memory barrier - 32 bit processing if you do the math (2^32) means you can only address up to 4GB of memory.

As for your freezing problem, hit ctl+alt+del once and click "task manager" then "processes" and it will tell you exactly what programs are using how much of your processor. You may be able to pinpoint (and disable) the one that is messing you up.

512-480=32MB. 32MB is the amount of your system ram being dedicated to your display adapter. Machines without a dedicated video card and its own ram have to steal system memory. Its not a real big deal except that it is considerably slower than dedicated video ram - if you ever get into 3d games, you'll want a stand-alone video card.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you for the advice Russ, I tried the taskmanager thing before, but it doesn't tell me much, besides that there are like about 43 processes, practically all not using any CPU. I did notice that a trial version virus scanner seems to overload the system when the fan is on.. I'll just stick with NAV.

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
just wait for Win2004
Ugh that's a scary thought! Gee I wonder how many patches that OS will have. It's all about the Penguin baby! I'm staying under the brim (Redhat 9)

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Tweek, now your a Redhat Fanatic? What happened to the super awsome Knoppix STD.

I use both and I like both. I like Knoppix STD the best because it is easy to use but it's only a disk. Redhat 9 is staying on my new HD partition. Redhat is good and I can call for help everytime I mess something up. I'm going to try out debian. I have all the disks and a bunch of apps. I just need money for a new HD. I'm going to slap it in my old P3 next week.

I take it you like debian the best?
What are some good linux message boards that you go to for info?

I go to thebroken.org, cyberarmy.com, and
linuxforum.com

I'm still a noob to linux but I'm a fast learner. I want to be able to break free from windows completely sometime soon.

oh, c'mon people....
let's take over windows first and then we'll fight about what linux is the best....

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Actualy I use Redhat. I've been using it since version 4.2 (May 1997). I've just recently gotten into debian and like the fact that it is very pure.

I usually get my info from mailing lists and newsgroups. I'm sometimes on the kde irc channel. I do quite a bit of development under kdevelop. I've recently been doing some web development with php on my apache webserver. I'm also part of the linux user group.