ATi Radeon or nVidia graphics cards better?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nvidia
In summary, there is no clear answer as to which graphics card is better, as both ATI and Nvidia have their strengths and weaknesses. ATI is generally better at Direct3d while Nvidia is better at OpenGL. However, both companies offer top-of-the-line cards that can run any game adequately. Some users may prefer Nvidia for its proprietary drivers, while others may prefer using open-source drivers developed by the OS developers for ATI cards. Ultimately, it depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the user, whether they are a Doom3 or Half Life 2 fan.
Saint
Which is better? :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
This is Troll bait

This is sucker

They are both equally good cards. Ati just makes bad drivers.

As it turns out, ATI is generally better at Direct3d and Nvidia is generally better at OpenGL. So if you're a Doom3 fan, an Nvidia card is probably better for you and if you're a Half Life 2 fan, ATI is better.

The top of the line from both will run any game adequately though.

dduardo said:
They are both equally good cards. Ati just makes bad drivers.

Yet, Nvidia won't release the specifications for any of their graphics cards, therefore, not any operating systems have non-propiertary DRI support for their cards. Quite a dilemma.

As far as I know, DRI support for ATI in Linux and any other OS that supports DRI, was not written by ATI, but the developers of those OSs, respectively. If you're using a non-Microsoft operating system, you'll be using drivers developed by the OS developers.

I'm a proud owner of an Nvidia GeForce 2. Does my FreeBSD configuration support DRI at the moment? No, because I'm not going to use the propiertary Nvidia drivers.

Last edited:
I'm not a gamer or an artist so I can't talk about the fine points of the graphics, but I can tell you that I have a notebook with ATI Radeon Mobility, a desktop with Nvidia Nforce2 and another desktop (a few years old) with Matrox Millennium G450, all of them set up to multiboot windows & linux.

I've installed various linux distributions (several times on each machine) and the Nvidia box is always the most troublesome. Take a look at discussions of these graphics cards on forums like www.linuxquestions.org[/url] and [url]http://forums.gentoo.org[/URL]. I don't think you can get full functionality out of the Nvidia board under linux unless you install Nvidia's own proprietary driver, and then you have their name (splash screen) pop up in your face every time x-windows starts up. :grumpy:

Running Windows, they all seem fine to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get rid of the splash screen put this line in the graphics card section of your xorg.conf or xfree86.conf file:

Option "NoLogo" "True"

I run the proprietary nvidia drivers in Linux and they work as well if not better than the Windows version. This is perhaps because opengl is more refined on the Linux side than that of windows.

I recall an ATI driver refusing to uninstall because it couldn't find any ATI hardware (video card had been removed surreptitiously by another). Needless to say this was very frustrating and when I purposefully repeated this with another computer (All-In-Wonder card) the very same thing happened again. As far as quality between the two brands my vision isn't qualified to judge any supposed difference.

Thanks for that tip about the splash, dduardo.

ATI Radeon X800 is the best video card in the world.

russ_watters said:
As it turns out, ATI is generally better at Direct3d and Nvidia is generally better at OpenGL. So if you're a Doom3 fan, an Nvidia card is probably better for you and if you're a Half Life 2 fan, ATI is better.

The top of the line from both will run any game adequately though.

Excactly.

There's no such thing as "x800 is the best video card in the world."

From the test I've seen the ATi Radeon X800 is almost as good with OpenGL as the GeForce FX 5700, but the GeForce FX 5700 can't compete in Direct3d.

ATi Radeon vs. nVidia Graphics Cards: Which Is Better?

Choosing between ATi Radeon and nVidia graphics cards can be a common dilemma for PC gamers and enthusiasts. Both brands offer high-performance GPUs, but there are differences to consider. Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the choice between ATi Radeon and nVidia graphics cards:

Q1: What Are ATi Radeon and nVidia Graphics Cards?

ATi Radeon and nVidia are two prominent manufacturers of graphics processing units (GPUs). These GPUs are used to render graphics and visuals on computer displays, making them essential components for gaming, video editing, and other graphics-intensive tasks.

Q2: How Do ATi Radeon and nVidia GPUs Compare in Terms of Performance?

The performance of ATi Radeon and nVidia GPUs varies depending on the specific model and generation. Both brands offer high-performance graphics cards suitable for gaming and professional workloads. To determine which is better in terms of performance, it's essential to compare specific models and read reviews that benchmark their capabilities.

Q3: Is There a Price Difference Between ATi Radeon and nVidia Graphics Cards?

There can be price differences between ATi Radeon and nVidia graphics cards for similar performance levels. Pricing depends on factors such as brand reputation, features, and market demand. It's advisable to compare prices for specific models and consider your budget when making a decision.

Q4: Which Brand Offers Better Driver Support and Compatibility?

Both ATi Radeon and nVidia provide driver support for their graphics cards. Driver support and compatibility can vary based on the GPU model and operating system. Generally, nVidia has a reputation for robust driver support, and its drivers are often considered stable and reliable. However, ATi Radeon has made significant improvements in this area in recent years.

Q5: Are There Any Specific Features Unique to ATi Radeon or nVidia GPUs?

ATi Radeon and nVidia GPUs may offer unique features and technologies specific to their brands. For example, nVidia's GPUs often come with technologies like ray tracing (RTX series) and DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling). ATi Radeon GPUs may have features like FidelityFX for image enhancement. Your choice should consider the features that matter most to your use case.

Q6: Can I Play Games and Run Software from Both ATi Radeon and nVidia on the Same PC?

Yes, you can use graphics cards from both ATi Radeon and nVidia on the same PC. However, it's essential to have compatible hardware and drivers. Some software and games may perform differently on each GPU brand, so you may need to adjust settings or preferences accordingly.

Q7: Should I Consider Other Factors Besides Brand When Choosing a Graphics Card?

Yes, besides the brand, you should consider factors like your specific use case, budget, power consumption, and compatibility with your PC components. Research the GPU models available, read reviews, and compare specifications to make an informed decision.

Q8: Which Is Better: ATi Radeon or nVidia?

There is no definitive answer to which is better between ATi Radeon and nVidia. The choice depends on your individual needs and preferences. Both brands offer excellent graphics cards, and the "better" option varies based on factors like performance, features, and budget constraints. It's recommended to research and compare specific GPU models for your intended use.

In conclusion, the choice between ATi Radeon and nVidia graphics cards depends on various factors, including performance, price, driver support, unique features, and personal preferences. To make an informed decision, research specific GPU models and consider your specific requirements.