1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atkins Physical Chemistry

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. I currently have a copy of atkins physical chemistry, although it is fairly old (4th edition). I found it for $20 at a second hand bookshop and it isnt in the best of conditions, but it has done the job so far!

Anyway, what im wondering is, are the later editions (8th i think?) much different to the older ones? Are they presented in a more user friendly way?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2009 #2
    i agree, the atkins book is choppy and very not user friendly.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3

danago

Gold Member

Are you saying that about the recent editions? While i have found certain parts of the text a bit hard to read, i still do like the text as a reference book, so i will still consider purchasing a newer edition if there is much difference.

5. Apr 15, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know about this book, but you can at least have a look at the chapter titles and some material in the 8th edition here:

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/pchem8e/default.asp?s=&n=&i=&v=&o=&ns=0&uid=0&rau=0 [Broken]

Maybe that's enough to get a rough sense of any material that has been added or removed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Apr 16, 2009 #5

danago

Gold Member

Its a bit hard to judge if there are many differences from the site, but it looks like there could be some useful things on the site anyway, so thanks for the link :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook