Are Newer Editions of Atkins Physical Chemistry More User-Friendly?

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between older and newer editions of the book "Atkins Physical Chemistry." The speaker mentions having a copy of the 4th edition and finding it for $20 at a second hand bookstore. They are wondering if the later editions, specifically the 8th edition, are presented in a more user-friendly way. The other person agrees that the Atkins book can be difficult to read and suggests looking at the chapter titles and material in the 8th edition on a website for an idea of any changes. The speaker thanks them for the link and notes that while it is hard to judge the differences, the website still has useful information.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I currently have a copy of atkins physical chemistry, although it is fairly old (4th edition). I found it for $20 at a second hand bookshop and it isn't in the best of conditions, but it has done the job so far!

Anyway, what I am wondering is, are the later editions (8th i think?) much different to the older ones? Are they presented in a more user friendly way?

Physics news on Phys.org
i agree, the atkins book is choppy and very not user friendly.

Are you saying that about the recent editions? While i have found certain parts of the text a bit hard to read, i still do like the text as a reference book, so i will still consider purchasing a newer edition if there is much difference.

I don't know about this book, but you can at least have a look at the chapter titles and some material in the 8th edition here:

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/pchem8e/default.asp?s=&n=&i=&v=&o=&ns=0&uid=0&rau=0

Maybe that's enough to get a rough sense of any material that has been added or removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98 said:
I don't know about this book, but you can at least have a look at the chapter titles and some material in the 8th edition here:

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/pchem8e/default.asp?s=&n=&i=&v=&o=&ns=0&uid=0&rau=0

Maybe that's enough to get a rough sense of any material that has been added or removed.

Its a bit hard to judge if there are many differences from the site, but it looks like there could be some useful things on the site anyway, so thanks for the link :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main concept behind Atkins Physical Chemistry?

The main concept of Atkins Physical Chemistry is to understand the fundamental principles and laws of chemistry through the application of physical theories and mathematical equations.

2. How is Atkins Physical Chemistry different from other branches of chemistry?

Atkins Physical Chemistry focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of chemical systems, while other branches of chemistry may focus on different aspects such as organic, inorganic, or analytical chemistry.

3. What topics are covered in a typical Atkins Physical Chemistry course?

A typical Atkins Physical Chemistry course covers topics such as thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and statistical mechanics.

4. What skills are required for success in Atkins Physical Chemistry?

In order to succeed in Atkins Physical Chemistry, students should have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. They should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills to apply theoretical concepts to real-world situations.

5. How is Atkins Physical Chemistry used in the real world?

Atkins Physical Chemistry is used in various fields such as materials science, biophysics, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals. It helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical systems, which is essential for developing new materials and improving existing products.