Evidence of Lost Island Atlantis Found in Straits of Gibraltar

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, it has been found that Spartel Island, now submerged in the Straits of Gibraltar, may have once been above water and could have possibly inspired the legend of Atlantis. Evidence from a seafloor survey supports this hypothesis. Some experts believe that about 12,000 years ago, when global sea levels were lower, the island could have been devastated by a tsunami and subsidence. However, without access to the full article, it is difficult to provide further analysis.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Spartel Island now lies 60m under the sea in the Straits of Gibraltar, but some think it once lay above water.

The finding adds weight to a hypothesis that the island could have inspired the legend recounted by the philosopher Plato more than 2,000 years ago.

Evidence comes from a seafloor survey published in the journal Geology. [continued]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4153008.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard about that last night on Coast to Coast. What do you think? Does it seem plausable?

I have no idea. I don't really know enough about this subject to have an opinion.

Spartel Island now lies 60m under the sea in the Straits of Gibraltar, but some think it once lay above water.

about 12,000 years ago, global sea levels seem to have been 70m lower than today (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png), so if the 'island' is now 60m below the surface its plausible that it could have been devestated by a tsunami and subsidence at that time. Unfortunately I can't view the full article without paying, so I can't comment further.

http://www.beepworld.de/members62/rwk_atlantis/

A little more atlantis.

1. What evidence supports the claim that Atlantis was located in the Straits of Gibraltar?

There have been multiple archaeological findings in the Straits of Gibraltar that have been linked to the lost city of Atlantis. These include ancient ruins, submerged structures, and artifacts that match descriptions of Atlantis in various texts.

2. How old is the evidence of Atlantis in the Straits of Gibraltar?

The exact age of the evidence is still being debated, but most scientists estimate it to be around 10,000 years old. This coincides with the timeline described by Plato, who first wrote about Atlantis in 360 BC.

3. What makes the Straits of Gibraltar a likely location for Atlantis?

The Straits of Gibraltar were an important trade route in ancient times and were also known for their rich mineral deposits. This matches the description of Atlantis as a highly advanced and wealthy civilization with access to rare resources.

4. Has there been any scientific research done on the evidence found in the Straits of Gibraltar?

Yes, there have been several studies and expeditions conducted in the Straits of Gibraltar to investigate the evidence of Atlantis. These include underwater surveys, sonar mapping, and geological analysis.

5. Is there any consensus among scientists about the existence of Atlantis in the Straits of Gibraltar?

There is no definitive answer among scientists about the existence of Atlantis in the Straits of Gibraltar. Some believe that the evidence is compelling and supports the theory, while others remain skeptical. Further research and exploration are needed to reach a consensus on this topic.