1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ATLAS ECAL Technology used?

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    Hey,
    I have to write a Lab Report that is based on the ATLAS electromagnetic calorimeter. One of the topics I have to write about is "the detector technology used". I'm unsure of what this could refer to, can anyone help?!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

It probably refers to the material and physical mechanism of energy deposition, and the layer-0 data transmission out to the coordination system.

Here are some examples of (what I would call) particle detector technology to help give you an idea:

- photography of condensation due to charge disturbance of supercooled water in a cloud chamber
    - photography of bubbles due to charge disturbance of superheated hydrogen in a bubble chamber
    - timing and muxing of charge collection from excited semiconductor junctions in the doped silicon strips of a silicon tracker
    - electronic photocathode readout of cesium iodide photon detection from Cherenkov radiation in perfluorohexane
    - level-triggered electronic reconstruction of photomultiplier readout from scintillation in plastic interleaved with steel absorbers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?