Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atmosphere can be absorbed into the solution?

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    when cooling a solution, if the container is open, is it possible that some water from the atmosphere can be absorbed into the solution? and if so, can there be a significant amout of absorbance (i.e enough to alter some properties of the solution) ?

I'm trying to explain some results i got in an experiment...i think i may be on the right track with this, but i thought i'd better be sure...anything else thats relevant would be good too

ta

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it depends on the water absorption capacity of your solution. Upon cooling, it is however possible to observe the interference of humidity.

But you'll need to give some experimental details about your event, especially, the reactants.

Regards, chem_tr

4. Sep 16, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The way I see it, if your container gets colder than the dew point, you will have condensation upon it. If the container is open, then there's a good chance that the condensation along the inside walls will drip into the solution.

If this is an aqueous solution, you will merely change its concentration. If it's organic, you could be introducing an impurity.

To give you better advice, we will need to know what exactly you have, how it is being cooled, temperatures, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?