Atmosphere, Kinetic, related question.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether the kinetic energy of water molecules in water is lower than the kinetic energy of water molecules in hot vapor. It is stated that molecular kinetic energy determines temperature, and thus the hotter the water (vapor), the higher the kinetic energy of the molecules. The conversation also discusses a specific scenario involving water at 70 degrees and water vapor at 30 degrees.
droomagon
Hello all,

I have a relative simple question, but I'd like to double check with you folks.

Typically, in normal atmosphere the kinetic energy of water molecules in water, should be lower than the kinetic energy of water molecule in hot vapor, isn't that right?

Thank you!

/cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Molecular Kinetic energy determines the temperature, so the hotter the water (vapor) the higher the kinetic energy of the molecules.

kinetic energy of water molecules

Here is one thing I want to ask about.

Say, we have water at 70deg. and water vapor at 30deg. Whose molecules will have a higher kinetic energy.

spacetime
http://www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

Re-read my previous post.

What is the atmosphere?

The atmosphere is the layer of gases that surrounds a planet or celestial body. On Earth, the atmosphere is composed of nitrogen, oxygen, and trace amounts of other gases.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The amount of kinetic energy an object has depends on its mass and velocity.

How is kinetic energy related to the atmosphere?

The atmosphere is constantly in motion due to various factors such as wind and temperature differences. This motion creates kinetic energy in the form of air molecules moving and colliding with each other.

What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in the atmosphere?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In the atmosphere, higher temperatures correspond to higher kinetic energy of air molecules, resulting in faster and more frequent movement.

How does the atmosphere affect the transfer of kinetic energy?

The atmosphere plays a crucial role in the transfer of kinetic energy from one place to another. For example, winds can transfer kinetic energy from one region to another, and temperature differences in the atmosphere can drive the movement of air masses.