Atmosphere's Rotation: Is Earth's Speed the Same?

• Thread starter Epic_Sarthak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary: However, when we leap, we gain a bit of altitude (and lose momentum) and our fall is slowed down a bit so we land in a different spot.
Epic_Sarthak
I was thinking about the rotation of Earth when I came across to know that the atmosphere moves as the Earth rotates. They move as the same body. But then a question came into my mind. Is the speed of the rotation of the atmosphere same as that of the Earth. And when we jump, why do we fall on the same location from which we jump, that is jump vertically ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try this explanation.

The Earth and the atmosphere do not rotate at the same speed. At ground level calm, static air might move close to the same speed as the Earth, but because of the differences in density the Earth moves through the atmosphere not with it. Without this fact there would be no wind.

Part two.

When we jump vertically we do not land in exactly the same place each time. We land either slighty ahead, behind, or too one side of our initial launch point. Due to the fact that we gain very little alttitude in a vertical leap, (and do not leap exactly vertical) there is just very little noticable difference in our landing spot.

On the other hand some related effects are larger than might be expected with just superficialthought:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect#Draining_in_bathtubs_and_toilets

You can also experience rotational effects when traveling from East to West versus West to East via airplane: travel time in the former direction takes longer than the latter.

Naty1 said:
On the other hand some related effects are larger than might be expected with just superficialthought:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect#Draining_in_bathtubs_and_toilets

You can also experience rotational effects when traveling from East to West versus West to East via airplane: travel time in the former direction takes longer than the latter.

Just to clarify, the Coriolis effect is not responsible for the direction a toilet flushes. That's a myth spread by people who care more about being interesting than being accurate.

Epic_Sarthak said:
I was thinking about the rotation of Earth when I came across to know that the atmosphere moves as the Earth rotates. They move as the same body. But then a question came into my mind. Is the speed of the rotation of the atmosphere same as that of the Earth. And when we jump, why do we fall on the same location from which we jump, that is jump vertically ?

Overall, the atmosphere moves with the Earth's rotation. Because air is a fluid it can have currents and layers and all the different properties that it has.

As for jumping, we fall to the same spot because we are also moving with the Earth's rotation. Because of the size of the Earth the curvature on our scale is very very small, so the Earth doesn't "fall" away underneath us while we are in the air.

Naty1 said:

I don't really see how this is correct. Are you sure it doesn't have something to do with the jet streams?

Drakkith said:
I don't really see how this is correct. Are you sure it doesn't have something to do with the jet streams?

It's true that travel times vary substantially depending on direction, but it is 100% to do with the jet streams.

cjl said:
It's true that travel times vary substantially depending on direction, but it is 100% to do with the jet streams.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The wiki article on jet streams shows them all traveling in a west to east direction.

KingNothing said:
Just to clarify, the Coriolis effect is not responsible for the direction a toilet flushes. That's a myth spread by people who care more about being interesting than being accurate.
Or by people with very large toilets.

The wind is NOT a result of the Earth "traveling through the atmosphere."

Epic_Sarthak said:
Short answer- conservation of momentum. While we are standing on the Earth we have the same momentum as the Earth itself- we are moving east as fast as it is. When we jump, we still have that momentum and are still moving to the east as fast as the Earth is.

What is the Earth's rotational speed?

The Earth's rotational speed is approximately 1,037 miles per hour at the equator. However, the speed varies based on the latitude, with the speed decreasing as you move towards the poles.

How long does it take for the Earth to complete one rotation?

The Earth completes one rotation in approximately 24 hours, which is why we have day and night. This is known as a solar day. However, it takes slightly longer for the Earth to complete a full rotation relative to the stars, known as a sidereal day.

Does the Earth's rotational speed ever change?

Yes, the Earth's rotational speed is constantly changing due to various factors such as tidal forces, atmospheric conditions, and geological events. However, these changes are very small and not noticeable on a day-to-day basis.

How does the Earth's rotational speed affect the atmosphere?

The Earth's rotational speed plays a crucial role in the formation and movement of weather systems. The Coriolis effect, caused by the Earth's rotation, influences the direction of winds and ocean currents. The rotation also creates a bulge at the equator, which affects global wind patterns and circulation.

Is the Earth's rotational speed the same as other planets?

No, the Earth's rotational speed is not the same as other planets. Each planet rotates at a different speed, with some rotating much faster or slower than the Earth. For example, Jupiter rotates at over 28,000 miles per hour, while Venus rotates very slowly in the opposite direction of most other planets.