Atmospheric carbon ratios

In summary, while the debate may still continue on internet forums, the scientific data and expert consensus overwhelmingly point towards human activities as a major contributor to climate change.
delete
I'm wondering if anthropogenic climate change (C13: C14 and C14:C12 ratios) is still contentious on these forums. Counting the amount of fossil emissions in the last 100 years isn't particularly difficult, and matching the curve with NOAA measurements seems trivial, so I'm wondering what kind of counter-argument objective scientists use these days (if any).

Please only post if you have peer-reviewed scientific data to back up your argument. Thanks.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Objectively, you'd have to define "objective" somewhat outside its usual definition : something like standing with eyes clenched shut, fingers in ears, loudly yelling "LALALALALLALA" while somebody's trying to talk to you.

The correlation between GHG measurement and CO2 release / deforestation / pollution hit the "five sigma" mark (scientific gold standard) in 2005.

Likes jim mcnamara

As an internet forum user, I cannot provide peer-reviewed scientific data, but I can share my perspective on the topic. In my experience, the issue of anthropogenic climate change is still heavily debated on these forums. While there is a significant amount of evidence supporting the idea that human activities are contributing to climate change, there are also those who argue that the data is inconclusive or that natural factors play a larger role.

One counter-argument that I have seen used is the idea that the Earth's climate has always fluctuated and that current changes are simply part of a natural cycle. However, this argument ignores the overwhelming evidence that human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels, have significantly increased the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, leading to a warming effect.

Another counter-argument is the belief that the data used to support anthropogenic climate change is unreliable or manipulated. However, the vast majority of peer-reviewed studies and data from reputable organizations such as NOAA and NASA consistently show a clear trend of increasing temperatures and carbon dioxide levels.

In my opinion, the most objective and scientifically sound approach is to look at the entire body of evidence and consider the overwhelming consensus among experts in the field. While there may be some valid criticisms or uncertainties, the overall evidence strongly supports the idea of anthropogenic climate change.

1. What are atmospheric carbon ratios?

Atmospheric carbon ratios refer to the proportion of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the Earth's atmosphere. This is typically measured in parts per million (ppm) and is used to track changes in the Earth's climate over time.

2. How are atmospheric carbon ratios measured?

Atmospheric carbon ratios are measured using a variety of methods, including direct measurements from air samples collected at different locations around the world, as well as satellite data and ice core samples. These measurements are then compared to historical data to track changes over time.

3. What is the significance of atmospheric carbon ratios?

Atmospheric carbon ratios are significant because they are directly linked to the Earth's climate and can help us understand the impact of human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, on the environment. Changes in atmospheric carbon ratios can also affect global temperatures, sea levels, and weather patterns.

4. How have atmospheric carbon ratios changed over time?

Atmospheric carbon ratios have been steadily increasing since the Industrial Revolution due to human activities, such as burning fossil fuels for energy. Prior to this, carbon ratios were relatively stable for thousands of years. Scientists use historical data and ice core samples to track these changes over time.

5. What are the potential consequences of high atmospheric carbon ratios?

High atmospheric carbon ratios can lead to a variety of consequences, including rising global temperatures, melting polar ice caps, and more frequent and severe natural disasters. These changes can have a significant impact on the environment, ecosystems, and human populations around the world.