SL Atmospheric Pressure Calculation

In summary: The pressure at 11 km below sea level is the pressure at sea level plus the weight of this 1 m^2 x 11km column of air.
zenmasterwombles
Im glad this website is here for help, cause physics is nuts, but i enjoy it.

question is at 11km below sea level what is the pressure in atmosphere.

now I've got the equation p=(h)(g)(d)

ive got g=9.8 m/s d=1030kg/m3 (given to us) but the height is what is throwing me off, in my notes i have that it needs to be converted, but to what columns? i have that written down but can't find anywhere if columns is what it needs to be in or what, if someone can tell me what to convert the columns into that would be very helpful, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
zenmasterwombles said:
Im glad this website is here for help, cause physics is nuts, but i enjoy it.

question is at 11km below sea level what is the pressure in atmosphere.

now I've got the equation p=(h)(g)(d)

ive got g=9.8 m/s d=1030kg/m3 (given to us) but the height is what is throwing me off, in my notes i have that it needs to be converted, but to what columns? i have that written down but can't find anywhere if columns is what it needs to be in or what, if someone can tell me what to convert the columns into that would be very helpful, thank you
Think of it as the weight of the air on a 1 m^2 area. The pressure at 11 km below sea level is the pressure at sea level plus the weight of this 1 m^2 x 11km column of air.

AM

P.S. Better check your figure for density of air. You are about 3 decimal places out.

Last edited:
Find the pressure at the depth and then divide it by atmospheric pressure. A pressure of 2 atm. means the pressure is twice as that of atmospheric pressure.

(Check whether the density of water is to be taken constant!)

MP

I misunderstood the question. I thought it was asking what the atmospheric pressure would be at a depth of 11 km. It is asking what the water pressure would be at a depth of 11km in the ocean.

Use the same approach I suggested, but use your 1030 kg/m^3 for the density of sea water. What is the weight of an 11km column of water having an area of 1 m^3? That the the additional pressure.

AM

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force per unit area exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere. It is caused by the gravitational pull of the Earth on the air molecules in the atmosphere.

2. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is typically measured using a tool called a barometer. There are two main types of barometers: mercury barometers and aneroid barometers. Mercury barometers use the height of a column of mercury to measure pressure, while aneroid barometers use a flexible metal chamber to measure changes in pressure.

3. What are the units of measurement for atmospheric pressure?

The most commonly used units for atmospheric pressure are millibars (mb) and inches of mercury (inHg). Other units include kilopascals (kPa) and pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How does atmospheric pressure affect weather?

Changes in atmospheric pressure can indicate changes in weather patterns. High pressure typically brings clear, dry weather while low pressure can bring cloudy, rainy weather. Rapid changes in pressure can also indicate the approach of a storm.

5. How does altitude affect atmospheric pressure?

At higher altitudes, there is less atmosphere above, resulting in lower atmospheric pressure. This is due to the decrease in air molecules and the weakening of the Earth's gravitational pull. Therefore, atmospheric pressure decreases as altitude increases.