Atmospheric pressure -- Record low in Kansas?

In summary, the creator of earth.nullschool posted a video on Twitter on Wednesday of the winds over the central US. He almost never tweets, so I figured something was up. Very impressive!
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's a print screen from my weather station's computer early this morning. I've never seen this low of atmospheric pressure here in Kansas before. Shortly after midnight the pressure hit a low of 28.08 InHg. :oldsurprised:

pressure.jpg

Attachments

• pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,956
Likes davenn, jim mcnamara, berkeman and 1 other person
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
This would be a new record for Kansas, according to https://www.wunderground.com/resources/pressure_records.asp

Likes dlgoff
That's "Eye of a Hurricane" pressure. Your house okay ?

Likes dlgoff
Wow OM Neat graphic,,,,, Don WAS in an eye !

No wonder i had two days of strong southerly wind.

upload_2019-3-16_4-58-24.png
old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-16_4-58-24.png
    upload_2019-3-16_4-58-24.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,687
Likes dlgoff
jim hardy said:
Wow OM Neat graphic,,,,, Don WAS in an eye !
It's very weird scrolling through the hours before the storm formed, as it looked to me like total randomness.
But within something like 6 hours, it was almost perfectly formed.
And it was predicted two days earlier.
No wonder i had two days of strong southerly wind.

View attachment 240341old jim
I'm sure everyone by now has seen the video of the semi being blown over in Amarillo TX, and the train derailment near Logan NM.
I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a train being derailed by a windstorm.
(google google google)
Oh good grief. Wiki has an entry for everything: List of wind-related railway accidents

Likes BillTre and dlgoff
DrClaude said:
This would be a new record for Kansas, according to https://www.wunderground.com/resources/pressure_records.asp
Wow. Never thought about it being maybe a record low. Now if I could only find those calibration records. :olduhh:

jim hardy said:
That's "Eye of a Hurricane" pressure. Your house okay ?
Things are okay. I saw no evidence of any damage.

edit: BTW Any damage your way?

Likes jim hardy
Already pulled my barograph chart and put it in "the scrapbook" for Colorado. Don't know that it's the extreme, but impressive, all the same.

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
BTW Any damage your way?
no damage, just blew some loose stuff around the yard.

Trees budding here, daffodils galore , even some of my bermuda grass seed popping up. How about up your way ?

Likes dlgoff
jim hardy said:
Trees budding here, daffodils galore , even some of my bermuda grass seed popping up. How about up your way ?
I'm seeing signs of the trees budding. Other than that, nothings close to being green.

Likes jim hardy
Wow ! You certainly had a 'Weather Bomb' !
That would have given a very nasty storm surge on the coast, ~1 cm per mbar plus wind push.

IIRC, something like this has been blamed for the Bristol Channel floods of 1607
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607
{ Take Care when researching this, as both 'old' and 'new' calendars were in use, and a later storm munged some evidence... }

Likes dlgoff

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force per unit area exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere. It is typically measured in units of millibars (mb) or inches of mercury (inHg).

2. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is measured using a device called a barometer. A common type of barometer is a mercury barometer, which measures the height of a column of mercury in a sealed tube. The higher the column of mercury, the higher the atmospheric pressure.

3. What is considered a "record low" in terms of atmospheric pressure?

A record low in atmospheric pressure refers to the lowest pressure ever recorded at a specific location. This can vary depending on the location and time of year. In the case of Kansas, a record low in atmospheric pressure would be the lowest pressure ever recorded in the state.

4. What causes a record low in atmospheric pressure?

A record low in atmospheric pressure can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in weather patterns, the movement of high and low pressure systems, and the influence of other atmospheric phenomena such as hurricanes or tornadoes. It can also be influenced by human activities such as air pollution.

5. What are the potential effects of a record low in atmospheric pressure?

A record low in atmospheric pressure can lead to severe weather conditions, including strong winds, heavy precipitation, and storm surges. It can also impact air travel and cause disruptions to daily life. Additionally, changes in atmospheric pressure can affect the health and well-being of individuals, particularly those with respiratory conditions.