Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Atmospheric Refraction

1. Sep 11, 2018 #1
    Does atmospheric refraction only work at certain temperatures, distances, and shape of the object (i.e. only spheres)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2018 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 11, 2018 #3

berkeman

Thread closed briefly for Moderation...

5. Sep 11, 2018 #4

berkeman

Thread is re-opened after deleting a questionable reference. We can discuss the science involved in atmospheric refraction in this thread, as long as all references are to mainstream science. Thank you. :smile:

6. Sep 11, 2018 #5

berkeman

Here's another example of atmospheric refraction from a Google Images search...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-sj868IzNrk/maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

7. Sep 11, 2018 #6
    Ok, so cold and warm air are required for this to occur. Can this happen at close distances or is there a limit?

8. Sep 11, 2018 #7

berkeman

All it takes is light rays traversing a change in the index of refraction at an angle.

I've seen the same effect from light refracting off the hot hood of a car fairly close by. Since it involves angles, the larger the delta-n and the larger the distance, the larger the apparent visual displacement effect, no?

9. Sep 12, 2018 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Look over the top of a hot CH radiator at a scene outside. You can often see shimmering due to the varying refraction through the turbulent mix of warm and cooler air. That refraction effect takes place right in front of you and it's more noticeable through binoculars.

10. Sep 12, 2018 #9

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Which "this" are you talking about? Atmospheric refraction can happen with atmospheric density variations due to altitude even without a temperature difference.

As for distance dependence, a particular temperature/density gradient will result in a particular curvature of light rays. At close range and a small gradient, you won't get much total deflection.

11. Sep 12, 2018 #10

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Temperature isn't directly responsible for the refraction of light through the atmosphere or any other gas. What is needed is a variation in the index of refraction. Hot air is less dense than cooler air, and thus has a lower refractive index. But since density also changes with altitude, the index of refraction of the atmosphere also increases as you get closer to the surface.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted