Exploring Atom's Mysteries: Bohr Model & Quantum Theory

In summary: Why would the spins of the protons and neutrons affect each other if they have the same spin?In summary, the Bohr model and quantum theory of atom are incomplete because they do not take into account the effects of spin. The spin of the protons and neutrons would affect each other if they had the same spin, but the Bohr model and quantum theory of atom do not take this into account.
hagopbul
Atom But?

I am studying atom and I reach the Bohr model & the quantum theory of atom for now.
But I have some point that I don’t understand for example:
1st We assume that the positive charge (protons) and 99% of the mass (neutrons) are stable, (in most cases), in the center of the atom .And the negative charge are moving around it. If the Proton and the neutron have spin, how they maintain the stable and constant state in the atom, if they have spin.
2nd if the neutron and the proton have spin of n for proton and m for neutron how do they don’t effect each other spins (I mean how the m spin don’t effect the n spin).

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, the "Bohr model" predates quantum theory and isn't a very good representation. (It suddenly occurs to me I may be thinking of the "planetary model"! The rest of my questions are still valid.) For another, why do you think "spin" affects stability? Oh, and what reason do you have for thinking that a proton and neutron (which are how far apart?) would affect each others spins?

Last edited by a moderator:
hagopbul said:
I am studying atom and I reach the Bohr model & the quantum theory of atom for now.
But I have some point that I don’t understand for example:
1st We assume that the positive charge (protons) and 99% of the mass (neutrons) are stable, (in most cases), in the center of the atom .And the negative charge are moving around it. If the Proton and the neutron have spin, how they maintain the stable and constant state in the atom, if they have spin.
Why should the spin affect the "stability"? And what "stability" are you referring to?

2nd if the neutron and the proton have spin of n for proton and m for neutron how do they don’t effect each other spins (I mean how the m spin don’t effect the n spin).
How do you know they don't affect each other?

1. What is the Bohr Model and how does it explain the structure of an atom?

The Bohr Model, proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913, is a simplified representation of the atom. It suggests that electrons orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels, much like planets orbiting the sun. This model explains the stability of atoms and why electrons do not spiral into the nucleus.

2. What is quantum theory and how does it differ from classical physics?

Quantum theory, also known as quantum mechanics, is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of subatomic particles. It differs from classical physics in that it allows for uncertainty and randomness at the atomic level, whereas classical physics is based on deterministic laws.

3. How did the Bohr Model lead to the development of quantum mechanics?

The Bohr Model sparked the idea that electrons can only exist in certain energy levels, which was later confirmed by experiments. This led to the development of quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of electrons in terms of probabilities and wave functions.

4. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and how does it relate to the Bohr Model?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and challenges the idea of the fixed orbits of electrons in the Bohr Model.

5. What are some modern applications of the Bohr Model and quantum theory?

The Bohr Model and quantum theory have been essential in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. They also play a crucial role in understanding and manipulating the behavior of materials at the atomic level, leading to advancements in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.