Atomic Physics: Finding Energy Levels

In summary, atomic physics is the study of the energy levels of atoms. This field of physics examines the behavior of electrons within atoms and how they transition between different energy levels. This understanding of energy levels is crucial in explaining the properties of matter and the behavior of atoms in different environments. By studying the energy levels of atoms, scientists are able to make predictions about the behavior of matter and develop new technologies such as lasers, transistors, and nuclear power. Overall, atomic physics plays a fundamental role in our understanding of the physical world and has numerous practical applications.
i_wish_i_was_smart
i am having problems with the atom model part of physics, i know that the current model stats the electron location is a probability and all, its when i get to the wavelength and the energy, with all the ionization and the spectrums that i don't understand...

how can i find the energy level with a spectrum, do i use E=mc2 or E=pc by finding p with p=h/wavelength... or do i use more of a atomic physics equation like E=hf=hc/wavelength

keep in mind that i am french and i don't fully understand english termanlogy thx

Physics news on Phys.org
i_wish_i_was_smart said:
i am having problems with the atom model part of physics, i know that the current model stats the electron location is a probability and all, its when i get to the wavelength and the energy, with all the ionization and the spectrums that i don't understand...

how can i find the energy level with a spectrum, do i use E=mc2 or E=pc by finding p with p=h/wavelength... or do i use more of a atomic physics equation like E=hf=hc/wavelength

You find the energy level of an atom by solving the Schrodinger Equation for that atom (something you can only do exactly for H-atom). Then you find the energy eigenvalues using that solution and voila! You have the energy level spectrum!

... assuming, of course, that "Schrodinger Equation" translates to roughly the same thing in french.

Zz.

(Zapper,
I doubt that the poster knows what a wave function is, far less know what solutions to the Schrodinger Equation look like or what spherical harmonics are. )

I'm only guessing your level, but I suggest you use the Bohr model to find energy levels and wavelengths of absorption/emission spectra. They are very good for a first approximation. Use E = hf, to convert between energy and frequency (or wavelength).

There's good info at wolfram : http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/BalmerFormula.html

1. What is atomic physics and why is it important?

Atomic physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of atoms, which are the building blocks of all matter. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and the interactions between atoms, which has practical applications in fields such as energy production, materials science, and medicine.

2. How do scientists determine the energy levels of atoms?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, to study the energy levels of atoms. These methods involve exciting the atoms and measuring the resulting energy emissions, which can then be used to calculate the energy levels of the atom.

3. What are the factors that affect the energy levels of atoms?

The energy levels of atoms are affected by several factors, including the number and arrangement of electrons in the atom's outer shell, the presence of external electric or magnetic fields, and interactions with neighboring atoms.

4. How do energy levels relate to an atom's chemical properties?

The energy levels of an atom determine its chemical properties, as they dictate how the atom will interact with other atoms to form molecules. For example, atoms with higher energy levels may be more reactive and likely to form chemical bonds.

5. What is the significance of studying energy levels in atomic physics?

Studying energy levels in atomic physics allows us to understand the behavior and properties of matter at a fundamental level. This knowledge has practical applications in fields such as technology, energy production, and medicine, and also helps us better understand the universe and its composition.