Constructing a Unique Model Atom for a Science Project

In summary: I'm not going to get into that). Solder wire around the outside of the orbs, and connect the wires to an appropriate power source (I used a battery, but an AC adapter could work too).In summary, the student is brainstorming ideas for a science project that stands out. They want to make a model atom that cannot be eaten, uses electricity, and is different from the typical styrofoam project. They are thinking of ways to get the electrons moving around the atom. Some ideas they have are building a hanging mobile, making the model out of genuine elements, or using Heisenberg's Principle to create an orbit for the electron.
Linkk06
I have this science project where I have to construct a model atom. I don't want to make it out of styrofoam because that's what everybody does and I really want to make a good project that stands out. We get extra points if we use electricity and it cannot be edible. I was wondering if anyone could help me brainstorm ideas that would are cool and not the typical styrofoam project. I thought I should somehow get the electrons to move around the atom but I don't know exactly how to do that. That is the only thing I could come up with. So if anyone has any ideas will you please try and help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about building hanging mobile. These indicate rotation of objects.
You might even think of a way to make the mobile turn using electricity.:rolleyes:

I think it would be impressive if you somehow made a model which showed the relative sizes of the particles inside the atom.

I really like Ouabache's suggestion of a mobile, although I'm not sure how you could incorporate electricity into it, other than making it turn round.

why don't you light ceartain parts up? like electrons, protons and neutrons could be lit in different colors. as for what to make it out of...I'm not real sure

yomamma said:
why don't you light ceartain parts up? like electrons, protons and neutrons could be lit in different colors. as for what to make it out of...I'm not real sure

Oooh that could be pretty sexy!

Have the protons, neutrons and electrons wired on separate circuits in different colours! Just set some LEDs inside some embedding resin! Yeahhh!

listen to brewnog's ideas...don't pay attention to the rest..it's a skill we've learned

yomamma said:
listen to brewnog's ideas...don't pay attention to the rest..it's a skill we've learned

It's not a skill you've learnt, it's a skill I've beaten into you! :tongue:

over time you'll learn how to skim posts in GD and only read the important words like "franzbear" or "stupid"

brewnog said:
I think it would be impressive if you somehow made a model which showed the relative sizes of the particles inside the atom.
You couldn't model the atom to actual size because particles make up less than 1 percent of the space. The rest is just, empty space. You wouldn't be able to see the project at all.

Just to be different , you can also do something odd.

As per HeisenBerg's Principle , we cannot define an orbit to an electron , so what you do is that you make a nucleus, which should be pretty dense, and around it make an "electron cloud" , which should be like a cotton round ball with different probabilities of finding an electron.

By the way are you making a model of some genuine element or making a general atom?

When you say you're doing the "atom model", which model are you planning to use? Rutherford's? Bohr's? Scrondinger's? Thomson's?

The classic is Bohr's.

I think I'm supposed to make a model of that one, but I'm not sure because our teacher only taught us one. The model we learned can be easily be drawn on paper as a nucleous with electrons in rings around it, but I'm not sure that it matter which model I use.

Dr.Brain

with different probabilities of finding an electron.

By the way are you making a model of some genuine element or making a general atom?

I am making a model of argon, because I think it sounds cool, and Einsteinium had too many protons to model. What do you mean by "different probabilities of finding an electron"? That they aren't placed in a pattern or evenly spaced? Sorry, I'm not used to terminology that sophisticated. :redface:

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm going to try and incorporate them all into my project so it'll be really cool. :cool: Thanks a lot, I could've never thought of any of that on my own.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Being a science fair project, I am sure the teacher is not expecting much, but that's no reason not to go the extra mile.

I always wanted to make a gyroscope atom as a project, but never was required to make a science project, so my dream was never realized, so I pass it on to anyone who wants to make it... :)

Find three clear rings (plexiglass, resin, whatever type of ring you can find) each one smaller then the next, then attach these by drilling a hole at two apposing sides, making sure the wholes are aligned, the middle ring will need four holes, two for the inside ring, two for the outside ring. Make sure they are perpendicular. Attach semi-transparent orbs around these rings (this can be done several ways, but easiest would be to cut the orbs in half and attach them to the rings with glue. (make sure you have room to rotate the rings inside each other with the rings) Also, remember the electrons must balance each other on the rings one at each opposite side of each other, and also remember only 2(n^2) atoms on each ring (where n is the ring number, 1, 2, 3 etc)

Now you can use leds to light up the rings which would light up the atoms, or you can use motors to rotate the rings.

I personally wanted to use magnetism to levitate the middle nucleus, but a simple rod/string across the inner most ring would be sufficient, though the nucleus would rotate along with the electrons (not a big deal since I don't think it is proven otherwise). If you could do the magnetism, your teacher would defecate, I am pretty sure.

Anyhow, whatever you choose, I am sure it will rock, and whatever you do, you should take a couple pictures and post them here so we can see your handiwork!

Good luck!

1. How do you construct a unique model atom for a science project?

To construct a unique model atom for a science project, you will need to follow these steps:

• Gather materials such as styrofoam balls, toothpicks, and colored markers.
  • Research the structure of an atom and decide on the elements you want to represent in your model.
  • Begin by creating the nucleus of your atom using a large styrofoam ball.
  • Use smaller styrofoam balls to represent the electrons and attach them to the nucleus using toothpicks.
  • Use colored markers to label the different parts of your atom.
  • Make sure your model accurately represents the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in the atom.

2. What materials do I need to construct a model atom for a science project?

Some materials you will need to construct a model atom for a science project include styrofoam balls, toothpicks, colored markers, and possibly glue or tape to hold the model together. You may also want to use a reference guide or textbook to ensure accuracy in your model.

3. How do I determine the structure of my model atom?

To determine the structure of your model atom, you will need to research the atomic structure of the element(s) you want to represent. This includes the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons, as well as how they are arranged within the atom. You may also want to consider the different energy levels or shells of electrons in your model.

4. Can I use other materials besides styrofoam and toothpicks for my model atom?

While styrofoam and toothpicks are commonly used materials for constructing a model atom, you can certainly use other materials as well. Some alternatives include playdough, clay, or even paper mache. Just make sure the materials you use are easy to manipulate and accurately represent the parts of an atom.

5. How can I make my model atom unique and stand out?

There are many ways to make your model atom unique and stand out. You can use different colors or patterns to represent the different parts of the atom, add 3D elements such as glitter or beads, or even incorporate a creative display or background. Just make sure your model remains accurate and visually appealing.