Probability of Helium Atom Speed >1000 m/s @ 300K

In summary, the probability that an atom of helium in a helium gas at temperature T = 300k will have a speed greater than 1000 m/s is 4.05x10^8.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

Using classical statistics, find the probability that an atom of helium in a helium gas at temperature T = 300k will have a speed greater than 1000 m/s.

Homework Equations

I think this calls for the Maxwell speed distribution.
[tex]F(v)dv=4πCe^{\frac{-mv^{2}}{2kt}}v^{2}dv[/tex]

Where k = Boltzmann's constant
T = temperature.
m = mass
C = some constant
v = velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integrating this from 1000 to infinity, to find the probability that the particle would be in that range of velocities, but that integral is apparently not possible. Is there any other way to approach this problem? The teacher doesn't expect us to do ridiculous integrals, so I'm thinking I must be making this harder than it has to be.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I tried integrating this from 1000 to infinity, to find the probability that the particle would be in that range of velocities, but that integral is apparently not possible.
It is not impossible. You can surely find a way to reduce it to a form where you will ultimately get the error function.

DrClaude said:
It is not impossible. You can surely find a way to reduce it to a form where you will ultimately get the error function.

Yeah I got the error function from putting it into Wolframalpha. I assumed that meant that wolfram couldn't do it, hence the "error" part.
I can get the error function, but I have no idea what to do with it. I mentioned the error function to the teacher and he made it sound like I could get something workable besides that.

Edit: Ok, I inputted actual values for all those constants, and Wolfram actually spit out a number. It gave me 4.05x10^8. Is that the probability? I thought my teacher told me in his office that the probability would be 1. That's far from 1. The number I got doesn't sound like a probability at all.

Last edited:

1. What is the probability of a helium atom having a speed greater than 1000 m/s at 300K?

The probability of a helium atom having a speed greater than 1000 m/s at 300K can be calculated using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. According to this distribution, the probability is extremely low, approximately 1 in 10^14. This means that out of every 10^14 helium atoms at 300K, only one will have a speed greater than 1000 m/s.

2. How does temperature affect the probability?

The probability of a helium atom having a speed greater than 1000 m/s increases with decreasing temperature. This is because at lower temperatures, the helium atoms have less thermal energy and are more likely to have lower speeds. As the temperature increases, the thermal energy also increases, resulting in a higher probability of helium atoms having speeds greater than 1000 m/s.

3. What is the relationship between probability and speed?

The probability of a helium atom having a speed greater than 1000 m/s is inversely proportional to the speed. This means that as the speed increases, the probability decreases. This relationship is described by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which follows a bell-shaped curve where the peak corresponds to the most probable speed and the probability decreases as the speed deviates from this peak.

4. Can the probability be higher than 1?

No, the probability of a helium atom having a speed greater than 1000 m/s cannot be higher than 1. This is because the probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, and a probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur. In this case, a probability of 1 would mean that all helium atoms at 300K have a speed greater than 1000 m/s, which is not possible.

5. How is the probability affected by the presence of other gases?

The presence of other gases can affect the probability of a helium atom having a speed greater than 1000 m/s. This is because collisions with other gas molecules can change the speed of the helium atom. In a mixture of gases, the probability can be calculated by taking into account the relative concentrations of each gas and their respective speeds.