Unraveling the Mysteries of Atoms and Materials

In summary, atoms are made of smaller subatomic particles that combine together to create the molecules, DNA/RNA, cells, organs and you that we see everyday.
expscv
umm i got some silly question to ask , i just couldn't find a good answer by my self.

1. is my body made up with atoms, ? i don't really think so, so what's my body made of? i mean my flesh.

2. wats is a piece of material such as wood or gold, made of, ? i mean when u cut down to the smallest thing, can anyone give me the stages?

all i noe is that atom consists of electron and proton with neculs in the centre, and different amount of electron will determine wat kind atom. umm? sounds right?

correctly me please thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
btw wats the relationship between an element and atoms?

and wats is a particle, molecule and ion or it is just a word to say.
thx

i really need make this clear in my head, other wise i am doomed

Last edited:
Of course your body is made of atoms; atoms arranged into molecules, molecules arranged into DNA/RNA, DNA/RNA controls arrangement into cell structures, cell structures arranged into cells, cells arragned into organs and organs arranged into you.

Atoms are composed of electrons, protons and neutrons (expect for neutral hydrogen which is just one electron and one proton disregarding any isotopes hydrogen has). The nucleus consists of protons and neutrons with electrons "circling" around the nucleus. Elements have different amounts of protons that characterize what they are. If an element gains more or less neutrons it is said to be an isotope of that element. Differences in valence electrons only change the atom's ability to react with other atoms or molecules chemically.

Particles are divided into two groups: hadrons and leptons.

Hadrons are partcles that consist of quarks and themselves are divided into two groups: Baryons and Mesons

Baryon particles, like protons and neutrons, consist of three quarks combinations.
Meson particles, like pions, consists of a quark/anti-quark combination and are short-lived because of it.

Leptons consists of particles that are solitary in nature (not made up of quarks) and examples are the electron and neutrino.

So baryons and leptons made up your body through their combined combination into atoms and soforth.

The above is pretty elementary but I hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
umm wow thanks for ur reply, i m very basic it does help me, btw so u saying particle are one things that builds up the atom?

What I'm saying is that there are sub-atomic particles that make up atoms; the two baryons that make up atoms are protons, neutrons (both make up the nucleus) and the surrounding electrons in the lepton particle class. The force-carrying exchange particles responsible for the strong nuclear force (holds nucleus together; called a gluon), the weak nuclear force (responsible for radioactive decay; called the intermediate vector boson) and the electromagnetic force (self-explanitory; called the photon) determine how certain particles interact with each other.

hoho really appricaited, i understand now, thank you,

1. What are atoms and why are they important in understanding materials?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are the smallest unit of an element that retains the properties of that element. Understanding atoms is important because they make up all the materials we see and use in our everyday lives.

2. How do scientists study the properties of atoms and materials?

Scientists use a variety of techniques and instruments such as electron microscopes, x-ray diffraction, and spectroscopy to study the properties of atoms and materials. These tools allow them to observe and analyze the structure and behavior of atoms and how they interact with each other.

3. What are the different types of bonds that hold atoms together in materials?

The three main types of bonds are ionic, covalent, and metallic. Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between atoms, covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons, and metallic bonds involve the delocalization of electrons among a group of atoms.

4. How do scientists manipulate atoms to create new materials?

Scientists can manipulate atoms through techniques such as chemical reactions, deposition, and nanotechnology. These methods allow them to control the arrangement and properties of atoms, leading to the creation of new materials with specific characteristics and functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding atoms and materials?

The understanding of atoms and materials has led to numerous advances in technology and industry. Some examples include the development of new materials for medical devices, electronics, and renewable energy sources. It also helps in understanding the properties of different substances, leading to improvements in agriculture and food production.