Controlling Electron Orbitals: The Key to Creating a Hydrogen Atom?

In summary, the orbit of a hydrogen atom is determined by the speed and direction of the electron relative to the proton, similar to a planet in relation to a star. This can be solved classically by considering the 1/r^2 potential well and solving the two-body problem, but quantum mechanically it is more complex and involves the static Schroedinger equation. Additionally, the definition of an "atom" in this scenario may vary.
cragar
how do i make a hydrogen atom , if i shoot an electron by a proton will it start to orbit the proton , what dictates whether it will orbit or not .

Physics news on Phys.org
It is primarily a question of mechanics - similar to a planet in relation to a star. Basically it depends on the speed and direction of the electron relative to the proton.

Does it have anything to do with their wave-functions overlapping .

The classical and quantum-mechanical answers to this question are totally different.

Classically you have the standard 1/r^2 potential well and can solve the two-body problem analytically to find the conditions for capture and escape (which turn out to be elliptical and parabolic orbits), given a known starting position and velocity. However, whether you count an electron orbiting a proton with an eccentricity of 0.99 as an "atom" might depend on whether you call Pluto a planet! You also need to disregard radiation which will lead to fast decaying orbits.

Quantum mechanically I know a lot less about. You can probably find solutions to the static Schroedinger equation in a coulomb potential and argue they represent an atom, but a free electron appears in the maths as a wave with a time-dependant element so I don't know how it would be approached.

I see thanks for your answers maybe i will wait until i take QM

1. How do I make a hydrogen atom?

The creation of a hydrogen atom is a natural process and cannot be artificially replicated in a laboratory setting. Hydrogen atoms are formed through nuclear fusion in stars, with the most common method being the fusion of two hydrogen nuclei to form helium.

2. Can I create a hydrogen atom using a chemical reaction?

No, hydrogen atoms cannot be created through chemical reactions. Hydrogen atoms are already present in various molecules and compounds, but they cannot be isolated and created through chemical reactions alone.

3. What equipment do I need to make a hydrogen atom?

As mentioned before, hydrogen atoms are formed through nuclear fusion in stars and cannot be artificially created. Therefore, no equipment or laboratory tools can be used to make a hydrogen atom.

4. Is it possible to isolate a single hydrogen atom?

It is extremely difficult to isolate a single hydrogen atom as they are highly reactive and tend to bond with other atoms to form molecules. In a laboratory setting, it is more feasible to isolate hydrogen ions (protons) rather than a single hydrogen atom.

5. What are the practical applications of creating a hydrogen atom?

Creating a hydrogen atom is not a practical or feasible task. However, the use of hydrogen as an energy source in the form of fuel cells is a growing field of research and could potentially have significant practical applications in the future.