1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atom ?

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    how do i make a hydrogen atom , if i shoot an electron by a proton will it start to orbit the proton , what dictates whether it will orbit or not .

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is primarily a question of mechanics - similar to a planet in relation to a star. Basically it depends on the speed and direction of the electron relative to the proton.

4. May 10, 2010 #3
    Does it have anything to do with their wave-functions overlapping .

5. May 11, 2010 #4
    The classical and quantum-mechanical answers to this question are totally different.

Classically you have the standard 1/r^2 potential well and can solve the two-body problem analytically to find the conditions for capture and escape (which turn out to be elliptical and parabolic orbits), given a known starting position and velocity. However, whether you count an electron orbiting a proton with an eccentricity of 0.99 as an "atom" might depend on whether you call Pluto a planet! You also need to disregard radiation which will lead to fast decaying orbits.

Quantum mechanically I know a lot less about. You can probably find solutions to the static Schroedinger equation in a coulomb potential and argue they represent an atom, but a free electron appears in the maths as a wave with a time-dependant element so I don't know how it would be approached.

6. May 11, 2010 #5
    I see thanks for your answers maybe i will wait until i take QM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook