Atomic and Ionic Radii in Relation to Periodic Trends

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in atomic and ionic radii of metals with varying numbers of protons and electrons. It is noted that while atomic radii decrease across periods, there are slight abnormalities in the 4th and 5th periods due to the introduction of d and f block orbitals. The question of which metal has a smaller ionic radius is raised, but it is noted that the noble gases with one less electron are still larger than group 1 metals with one less electron. The conversation also suggests that the differences in ionic radii may be the reason why this problem is difficult to answer.
jeza
1. I am a metal. My atomic radius is smaller than the atomic radius of the element with one fewer protons, but my +1 ionic radius is larger than the +1 ionic radius of the element with one fewer protons. Of the two elements in my group that have biological importance, I am the one with higher electro-negativity.

NO relevant equations

3. So, atomic radii size decreases across periods but increases down periods with the slight abnormalities in the 4th and 5th period once the d and f block orbitals are introduced. Originally I was thinking that this might apply to a group 1 metal, however all are larger than the noble gasses that have one less electron. Then I thought that Fe [Ar] 4s2 3d6 would be smaller than Mn [Ar]4s2 3d5 but fell down when Fe+ [Ar] 3d7 would still be smaller than Mn+ [Ar] 3d6. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could assist not only with the question itself but also with the differences relative ion radii sizes (which seems to be why I can not find an answer to this problem)

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally I was thinking that this might apply to a group 1 metal, however all are larger than the noble gasses that have one less electron.
That is a good approach, but this comparison (group 1 / noble gas) is needed for the +1 ionic radii where you have one electron less...

1. What is the definition of atomic and ionic radii?

Atomic and ionic radii refer to the size of an atom or ion. It is measured as the distance from the nucleus to the outermost electron orbital.

2. How do atomic and ionic radii differ?

Atomic radii refers to the size of a neutral atom, while ionic radii refers to the size of an ion. Ionic radii is generally larger than atomic radii due to the addition or removal of electrons, which affects the overall size of the ion.

3. How does the atomic radius change across the periodic table?

The atomic radius generally decreases from left to right across a period in the periodic table. This is due to the increasing number of protons in the nucleus, which pulls the outermost electrons closer to the nucleus.

4. How does the ionic radius change across the periodic table?

The ionic radius generally decreases from left to right across a period in the periodic table, but increases from top to bottom in a group. This is due to the same factors as atomic radius, but the addition or removal of electrons in the outermost energy level can also affect the size of the ion.

5. How can atomic and ionic radii be used in chemical bonding?

Atomic and ionic radii can be used to predict the type of chemical bonding that will occur between atoms. If the difference in radii is small, covalent bonding is more likely, while a large difference in radii indicates ionic bonding. The size of the atoms or ions also affects the strength and stability of the bond.